Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2017 1:47:44 PM EDT
I'm about to go on a massive tool buying spree to supplement what I already have. I have most of what I want already picked out at the moment, but can't decide on a tool set for the trunk. These are the 3 sets that I was looking at:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Mechanics-Tool-Set-200-Piece-DWMT75000/206510555?AID=11210757&PID=404255&SID=531186_desktop&cm_mmc=CJ-_-404255-_-11210757&cj=true

http://www.harborfreight.com/130-pc-tool-set-with-case-63091.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4AVRGW?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I'm digging the Crescent set but have no experience with their tools. The Harbor Freight set looks tempting due to the price but I know the quality is suspect. The DeWalt is probably the last on my list because the Crescent set looks more complete for around the same price. Does anyone have any of these 3 sets, and if so, do you like them? Any other set to recommend? I want to stay under $100. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
For hobbyists and weekend wrenchers Harbor Freight is just fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got that Crescent set. It belonged to my wife's (no pics) deceased husband.

It's not bad for what it is. It's what I grabbed when I went out of town a few weeks ago and knew I'd need some hand tools possibly.

The only thing I have an issue with is the ratchets. The 1/4" ratchet has issues occasionally when it will lock up and not ratchet. I haven't taken the time to look into repairing it or not because I've got other 1/4" ratchets to use and just grab another.

I would equate the quality of the Crescent set to an older Craftsman hand tool set. Not the new made in China stuff but the older made in USA stuff.

I don't know about the quality of Crescent now and I don't know how old the set I have is but I've used it a few times and it's worked fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Stanley brand tool sets in my vehicles and in my children's vehicles.  Better than Craftsman quality sockets and ratchets with 72 teeth gears and good wrenches too.  I think the Crescent set you linked is identical to the Stanley set I purchased last Summer for my Son's car.  I purchased a Harbor Freight tool set for my Son's vehicle and returned it because it was not as well made or complete as the Stanley set I finally found at Lowes.

BTW, make sure the tool set contains various pliers.  The Home Depot set has none.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't plan on using the tools much at all I guess you could go with the harbor freight ones. Personally I won't ever buy hand tools that are made in China anymore. I use tools quite often and I appreciate using quality made tools.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
to do what?
are you wrenching on a car? if so what car?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

China makes pretty much everything anymore.
View Quote
That's a cop-out for people who don't care about buying made in USA stuff or quality products in general. There are plenty of companies who make  quality tools that aren't Chinese. Proto tools, channel lock, snap on, Klein, Wera, Wiha, Felo, Stanley, Knipex. Those are just off the top of my head, a couple of those are foreign companies but they are at least from countries that produce quality products not the garbage that China and Taiwan are selling us.

And yes, a couple of those sell Chinese stuff also so you still gotta check
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Cresent is fine.  They're not awful horrible like horror freight, but they're nothing like my Snap-Ons at the shop.  For occasional, or emergency stuff, you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#9]
The last set I bought from Home Depot husky brand none of the sockets or wrenches would stay in the case one of the molded case that things kinda snap in place I took it back and now when I need something like a nice tool kit with lots of pieces I wait till sears puts them on sale I keep a 200 something piece tool kit in all three of my trucks
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:05:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
to do what?
are you wrenching on a car? if so what car?
View Quote
My main set of tools consists mostly of Craftsman that I bought 16 years ago and are holding up well. That is what I use for my maintenance needs. As far as the spare set, it's for the trunk in case the need ever arises while I'm on the road. Right now I drive and work on my Elantra (ugh, I know), along with my dad's 2007 Accent and a 2004 Optima. So mainly Korean cars. I have probably $600-800 of tools in the carts from Harbor Freight, Home Depot, and Amazon that I plan on purchasing. Mostly odds and ends stuff but will come in handy nonetheless.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have Stanley brand tool sets in my vehicles and in my children's vehicles.  Better than Craftsman quality sockets and ratchets with 72 teeth gears and good wrenches too.  I think the Crescent set you linked is identical to the Stanley set I purchased last Summer for my Son's car.  I purchased a Harbor Freight tool set for my Son's vehicle and returned it because it was not as well made or complete as the Stanley set I finally found at Lowes.

BTW, make sure the tool set contains various pliers.  The Home Depot set has none.
View Quote
Delete
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:34:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
This Kobalt set ( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Household-Tool-Set-with-Hard-Case/999957735 ) from Lowe's looks decent but I'm not familiar with their brand so am rather hesitant. They have a decent Stanley set at Lowe's but the Crescent set looks more complete, although I don't really need 3 ratchets for the trunk. Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My main set of tools consists mostly of Craftsman that I bought 16 years ago and are holding up well. That is what I use for my maintenance needs. As far as the spare set, it's for the trunk in case the need ever arises while I'm on the road. Right now I drive and work on my Elantra (ugh, I know), along with my dad's 2007 Accent and a 2004 Optima. So mainly Korean cars. I have probably $600-800 of tools in the carts from Harbor Freight, Home Depot, and Amazon that I plan on purchasing. Mostly odds and ends stuff but will come in handy nonetheless.
View Quote
Are you starting out from scratch???  So far all the "kits" you've posted are basically one step above nothing but consist of tools that probably belong in the trash.  Those are the kinds of things I'd keep in the house to do menial tasks if I didn't want to have a full set of tools but just enough to cover the basics.  For automotive stuff they're essentially worthless.

More over, if you're about to drop that much money on tools what are you trying to accomplish?  Are you covering actual needs or are you covering "what if's"?

For a car kit this is what I have in there (I've got jap cars)
-Kobalt 3/8" drive tool set (the 20pc sets are fine)
-Kobalt 1/2 drive socket that fits my lug nuts
-15" heavy duty zip ties
-linerless splicing tape
-HF pro line metric wrench set
-HF 1/2" drive 25" long breaker bar
-HF deadblow hammer
-HF 6" needle nose, slip joint, and diagnol cutters
-HF vise grips QTY 2
-HF "free with purchase" screwdriver set
-HF "free with purchase" multimeter
-HF "free with purchase" magnetic LED light
-assorted min blade fuses in a repurposed prescription bottle
-HF 11" black canvas tool bag
-shop rag QTY 1ea
-penetrating oil QTY 1ea

it ain't sexy but it is enough to do a surprising amount of work on a vehicle and be able to limp yourself home so you can fix the problem.  It's also relatively cheap, so if it gets stolen or left somewhere zero fucks shall be given.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Lowe's offers a "Hassle Free" warranty on their tools.  Yea! HA!  They want a receipt, they black list your drivers license if you don't have one. Just go read over on Garage Journal.  Each Lowes is run differently, and Kobalt quality has gone down and rumor is that they may be putting the new Craftsman line in Lowe's.

Honestly, for a set of tools that might get used, HF.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are you starting out from scratch???  So far all the "kits" you've posted are basically one step above nothing but consist of tools that probably belong in the trash.  Those are the kinds of things I'd keep in the house to do menial tasks if I didn't want to have a full set of tools but just enough to cover the basics.  For automotive stuff they're essentially worthless.

More over, if you're about to drop that much money on tools what are you trying to accomplish?  Are you covering actual needs or are you covering "what if's"?

-15" heavy duty zip ties
-linerless splicing tape
-HF deadblow hammer
-HF vise grips QTY 2
-shop rag QTY 1ea
-penetrating oil QTY 1ea

it ain't sexy but it is enough to do a surprising amount of work on a vehicle and be able to limp yourself home so you can fix the problem.  It's also relatively cheap, so if it gets stolen or left somewhere zero fucks shall be given.  
View Quote
No, I'm not starting from scratch. I have a decent amount of tools already that will stay in my garage. The set I'm looking for would be for "what ifs" while on the road or out and about. That seems like a nice little assortment you assembled for your trunk set.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lowe's offers a "Hassle Free" warranty on their tools.  Yea! HA!  They want a receipt, they black list your drivers license if you don't have one. Just go read over on Garage Journal.  Each Lowes is run differently, and Kobalt quality has gone down and rumor is that they may be putting the new Craftsman line in Lowe's.

Honestly, for a set of tools that might get used, HF.
View Quote
Garage Journal rocks! Think I'm going to sign up for an account there. It seems to be the best car-related website that I've found yet, besides specialty forums which cater to the car I own (Hyundai Forums for example). Have perused many threads on Garage Journal lately about Tekton tools.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-15" heavy duty zip ties
-linerless splicing tape
-HF deadblow hammer
-HF vise grips QTY 2
-shop rag QTY 1ea
-penetrating oil QTY 1ea

View Quote
I actually have that DeWalt set, they're actually very well made.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The set I'm looking for would be for "what ifs" while on the road or out and about. That seems like a nice little assortment you assembled for your trunk set.
View Quote
i gave up on carrying a full/larger set because there's only so much I can do when I'm away from my garage. I figure I just need to be able to fix some things or limp my carb back so I can take care of it there. 

Im not 19 or 20 anymore so the idea of doing anything more than a quick fix or patch job in a parking lot to get me home is less than appealing 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

-15" heavy duty zip ties
-linerless splicing tape
-HF deadblow hammer
-HF vise grips QTY 2
-shop rag QTY 1ea
-penetrating oil QTY 1ea

View Quote
That's a pretty good list. I also keep a roll of twine, some bailing wire, and a few of those cheap ratchet straps. Also my multimeter is high quality because I use it the most. Ya know, batteries, alternators and such.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Bump for more info.
My Civic Si is over 10 years old now, and need a Jap car friendly set of tools to carry in the car "just in case".
Currently don't have any tools in the car.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:00:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Kobalt tools are nice. Good warranty if you live near a lowes. Otherwise anything will really work since it is a trunk tool set
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Kobalt tools are nice. Good warranty if you live near a lowes. Otherwise anything will really work since it is a trunk tool set
View Quote
Most of the warranty stories I've read about Kobalt tools have been positive. There is one guy over at Garage Journal who has had some bad luck though. I think a few others too based on responses peppered throughout that thread but mostly positive. Still something to be aware of.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355715&page=5
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i gave up on carrying a full/larger set because there's only so much I can do when I'm away from my garage. I figure I just need to be able to fix some things or limp my carb back so I can take care of it there. 

Im not 19 or 20 anymore so the idea of doing anything more than a quick fix or patch job in a parking lot to get me home is less than appealing 
View Quote
I've decided I'm going to put together a trunk set similar to yours. It'll cost in between that of the HF and Crescent set I had linked, while being more comprehensive and of decent quality. Seems to be a nice compromise.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've decided I'm going to put together a trunk set similar to yours. It'll cost in between that of the HF and Crescent set I had linked, while being more comprehensive and of decent quality. Seems to be a nice compromise.
View Quote
Awesome.  The suggestion of bailing wire and the wire pliers is a good one.  The HF one isn't awful either.  

It's easy to run down the tools rabbit hole and spend way too much money.  I know I've done it before.  I've actually started culling some of the crap I've purchased over the years.  I just don't need what I thought I needed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Most of the warranty stories I've read about Kobalt tools have been positive. There is one guy over at Garage Journal who has had some bad luck though. I think a few others too based on responses peppered throughout that thread but mostly positive. Still something to be aware of.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355715&page=5
View Quote
FWIW if you read that OP's other posts in different threads they're kinda a douche.  I imagine that bleeds over into real life.

Frankly I've never had any issues warrantying or exchanging any Kobalt stuff.  Granted my sample size is limited to 2 ball end allen sockets that snapped off, but I walked in with the broken one to customer service and they told me to grab a new one off the shelf.  No hassle, and no asking for a receipt.  They only want the receipt if you return it.

And frankly, if you're told you need a receipt for the exchange.  Buy a new one then "return" the broken one later.  Is it a dickbag thing to do?  Maybe, that's up to you to decide.  I once upon a time did that with harbor freight grinders.  Then I got tired of killing them every 3-6mo so I just bought a quality one instead.  Probably saved the difference in cost in gas money alone over the next few years 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's a pretty good list. I also keep a roll of twine, some bailing wire, and a few of those cheap ratchet straps. Also my multimeter is high quality because I use it the most. Ya know, batteries, alternators and such.
View Quote
Actually bailing wire, and a set of the correct pliers, are AWESOME.  Way more useful than you'd think.  Only reason I don't keep a nice multi-meter in the car is because of how infrequently that it gets used and how harsh the temps can be in a car.  I have a nice Fluke at home though, well worth it.

I have straps/tie downs, bungee cords, 550 cord and tubular nylon in my car stowed by my spare tire.  Never know when you need to secure some stuff so I tossed it in 12 years ago when I purchased the car.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bump for more info.
My Civic Si is over 10 years old now, and need a Jap car friendly set of tools to carry in the car "just in case".
Currently don't have any tools in the car.
View Quote
Step 1: Good preventative maintenance.  Tools in your car aren't worth shit if your car is in terrible condition.  

Step 2: Have a realistic expectation of what it is you can feasibly do when you need your tools.  There's only so much you can actually do with minimal hand tools on the side of the road, in the rain, and laying in the mud.  At some point you just have to know when it's time to call for a tow.

Step 3: After assessing steps 1 and 2 again, figure out what you need (and not extra crap), and buy tools that you don't mind losing or getting stolen.  The truth is you probably WON'T be using these tools if you do Step 1 properly, and failing to catch something that PM would prevent would mean that it has to be something that doesn't deadline your vehicle and make it impossible to limp it back home to a better (and safer) working environment.  I can carry everything I need to rebuild my entire car on the side of the road...but what's the point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top