Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 7:19:11 PM EDT
I had to buy a new thermostat for the house, running AC only (separate stat for heat). Bought a weekly programmable at Lowes and hooked it up. Ran fine until the stat no longer calls for cooling. When set point is higher than room temp, the fan unit shuts off fine. But the compressor/condenser unit outside will keep cycling. It'll run for a few minutes, shut off for a couple minutes, and continue.

Did I wire it wrong? I didn't think so, since it works correctly when cooling. But obviously something isn't right. Does it make a difference if the condenser unit is on a separate breaker?

ETA - new stat is a Honeywell 5/2 programmable, I think the model # is RTHL2310b. There were three wires on the old stat. I thought I got them in the right place, but maybe not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the old tstat control both heat and cooling?

If so sounds like you need to remove the jumper between RC and RH
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
This stat was always AC only.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The thermostat thinks it is controlling a heat pump.  Figure out how to program it for AC only.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
That was a good tip. There's a switch on the back of the stat for heat pump or regular operation. It was set for regular, but I switched it to heat pump and now it works fine. I guess something is wired funny, but it seems ta be working now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top