Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 7:16:05 PM EDT
House built in 1934, pier and beam with brick fireplace. The fireplace has a black gas pipe coming through the floor of the fire place, but it is not connected to my natural gas line. Can I run stainless corrugated gas line under the house suspended from the beams? If not, what do you think is best?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If that is code for your area I can't see why not
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I just had a freestanding gas fireplace installed to replace my pellet stove. This is just my opinion, but I would think that you're money ahead by having it done by someone licensed to do it and who will pull the required permits. For mine, the guy had to put the line under pressure, with a gauge, and then have a county inspector come out to verify that it was holding pressure. There is just too much at stake to do something like this on your own.

I do quit a bit of my own stuff, including electrical, but I have major stuff checked by a licensed electrician.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It's easy......if you are handy.

If you use CSST bear in mind it has to be bonded to the house's main panel ground.

If it's a simple run, it's pretty easy to run black pipe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just had a freestanding gas fireplace installed to replace my pellet stove. This is just my opinion, but I would think that you're money ahead by having it done by someone licensed to do it and who will pull the required permits. For mine, the guy had to put the line under pressure, with a gauge, and then have a county inspector come out to verify that it was holding pressure. There is just too much at stake to do something like this on your own.

I do quit a bit of my own stuff, including electrical, but I have major stuff checked by a licensed electrician.
View Quote
And if anything happens your homeowners insurance will cover it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've run black pipe before with no problem. Just wanted to know if stainless gas line could be run outside under the house. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Check local codes. Nothing anyone tells you means anything until you find out what your area allows.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I had two gas lines run to fireplaces.  My friend is licensed, and we did it together.  We used CSST.  That makes it pretty easy.

You do have to be careful with the connections. You don't want mistakes.  I would have sometime who knows what he's doing do it.

I getting ready to run 2 gas lines in the back yard, one to a fireplace and one to a grill.  I was planning on running just one, but my friend says that with a low pressure system I could get a flameout with just one line, if all the gas appliances came on at the same time.

We will use Trac Pipe, which is the brand of CSST we used in the house.  Trac Pipe for direct burial is different from the yellow stuff, god-awful expensive and hard to come by.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know anything about natural gas, but why not use copper tubing?  That's what most people around here use for propane and only use the stainless flexible pipe for the final connections.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've run black pipe before with no problem. Just wanted to know if stainless gas line could be run outside under the house. Thanks
View Quote
In would use black pipe if possible for your application but I ran CSST in the walls for my recent new build and it was easy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Perfectly fine to run it under the house.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Perfectly fine to run it under the house.
View Quote
....if the code allows it.

Every town or state's code is different.  Please check.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about natural gas, but why not use copper tubing?  That's what most people around here use for propane and only use the stainless flexible pipe for the final connections.
View Quote
Copper gas lines require brazed connections.  Having lead melt out in a fire would be a really bad thing.

The gas company must also certify the sulfur level in the gas is low enough to allow copper to be used.

Black pipe in straight runs is still pretty cost effective.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Copper gas lines require brazed connections.  Having lead melt out in a fire would be a really bad thing.

The gas company must also certify the sulfur level in the gas is low enough to allow copper to be used.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore everything posted above save for the black pipe bit.

30+ years in the NG field..................
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore the plumber.

35+ years as a PE.

There are a few mechanical joints allowed for copper gas but they are a PITA to find , document to the AHJ, and use.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ignore the plumber.

35+ years as a PE.

There are a few mechanical joints allowed for copper gas but they are a PITA to find , document to the AHJ, and use.
View Quote
I've never seem brazed copper gas lines.  Must be a regional thing.

Where I live when you see copper it is typically connected with flared fittings.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where I live when you see copper it is typically connected with flared fittings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore the plumber.

35+ years as a PE.

This, flare or compression [ferrule type] no soldered or brazed connections in CU gas piping.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This, flare or compression [ferrule type] no soldered or brazed connections in CU gas piping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore the plumber.

35+ years as a PE.

You can use flare or compression connectors rated for NG.

You can also braze NG lines since the melting point of braze is over 800 F.

Check the actual fuel gas code and not the quick summary in the plumbing code.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore the plumber.

35+ years as a PE.

We will not turn on any house or business that has ANY brazed NG line. Period. It also gets danger tagged until replaced.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
ahh.. tradesmen vs engineer. Never gets old.

Pipe can be threaded, flanged, brazed or welded.

Tubing can be connected with gas tubing fittings or brazed (1000+ degrees)

Flared joints are allowed in nonferrous systems.

Yes, codes are different, local AHJ blah blah blah.

Personally, threaded steel pipe is the only thing I'd use in my own home. IMHO CSST has it's uses.. and that's only where it would be impossible or impractical to install rigid steel pipe.

Pressurize to 3-5psi with a compressor or bike pump and let it sit for 10 minutes. And use a freakin 5lb gauge, not some 100psi gauge. Yeah, they're more expensive, but cheaper than burning our house down. Seen guys put 80lbs in a residential system and call it good. How the heck do you see a 1/4lb drop over 10 mins on a 100psi gauge.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've never seem brazed copper gas lines. Must be a regional thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore the plumber.

35+ years as a PE.

I've never seem brazed copper gas lines. Must be a regional thing.

My area is the same
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#21]
My mind goes to an image of three people calling each other stupid and continuing their argument as they walk away from a house in flames. During the investigation, the fire chief first says that the idiot that did the installation should lose his license because it isn't to code, Then goes looking for the permit...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top