Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2017 1:55:40 PM EDT
I want to build a flat, slopped roof carport out of metal.

I am not new to building, just new to using metal.  

I am in rural SW Ok and this will mainly be for sun and hail protection.  It will need to be sturdy though due to our storms, high wind.

The size I am looking at is 20 feet deep by 36 feet wide.  I was looking at using 4X4 square tubing for the support posts 3 deep and 4 across but not sure about the "C" channel for purlins.

I cant seem to find a span chart for metal "C" channel.  I was considering 6X2 inch channel, the space between posts depth wise would be around 10 feet and the space between the posts running cross ways would be around 12 feet.  6 inch channel should be more than adequate shouldn't it?

The only thing going on top will be painted metal roofing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Would buying a kit work for you? Another poster pointed me to Mueller Carports. Max size they show is 24x24. I don't know if they can do custom orders. Seems like a good way to get all the parts with minimal fuss.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Here in GA you can get one put up in a half day. Companies all over.

They use 3x3 metal post supposedly hurricane specs. I know, but ours withstood a cat 1.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I built my own carport buying the stuff from Metal Mart. And I've done two other similar projects for my dad for a tractor and trailer shed and then a carport for his travel trailer.   If you draw up a basic plan they were good at telling you what size channels you need.  My carport is basically 25 wide by 37.5 deep with a 12.5 wide by 25 deep shed built onto one side using same metal framework and roof.  I used 4x4 posts and 25' spans with 8 inch receiver channels and purlins. Purlins are spaced less than 4 feet apart on mine due to the layout.  It was a lot of work doing it with just 1 helper, but it turned out well doing it in stages.  

If you stay with the spacing you have mentioned, 6 inch channels will be fine I think.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built my own carport buying the stuff from Metal Mart. And I've done two other similar projects for my dad for a tractor and trailer shed and then a carport for his travel trailer.   If you draw up a basic plan they were good at telling you what size channels you need.  My carport is basically 25 wide by 37.5 deep with a 12.5 wide by 25 deep shed built onto one side using same metal framework and roof.  I used 4x4 posts and 25' spans with 8 inch receiver channels and purlins. Purlins are spaced less than 4 feet apart on mine due to the layout.  It was a lot of work doing it with just 1 helper, but it turned out well doing it in stages.  

If you stay with the spacing you have mentioned, 6 inch channels will be fine I think.
View Quote
Yep, Mueller will customize anything you want. It's how I built mine, added some extra posts and a peak in the middle. The Mueller stuff spans 20 to 24 feet easily, you just need two extra posts for support. Then longer c channel for your length and some extra purlins to fill it in. Metal sheeting to fit and your done.

Mandatory pic of my port.................. 24x24 peaked center with extra post and some 4 " purlin to make pretty (strong) triangles on the sides. I'm running 10' on the low end and 14' at the peak. Second pic is before trim and gutters.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top