Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2017 2:43:44 PM EDT
Waters is right at the bottom edge of my private concrete ramp at my lake place with the drought. I never power on so the sand bottom at the end of the ramp is a perfect matching grade as the ramp. Minus the 5" concrete thickness at the end. I want to add around 4'-5' of additional ramp on the white sand bottom.

I'm thinking of the following. Lay down a 6'-10' section of heavy duty galvanized chain link fence at existing edge of ramp. Place 24 bags of Sakcrete in brick pattern Five across at ramp edge, then six across, then five across and six across at bottom. Anchor each bag and the fence below it by driving two 4' re-bar stakes to a depth flush with the top of each bag for a total of 48 stakes to anchor the whole mess as a unit. 18' Jon boat, motor, gear and trailer weigh only around 1,500 lbs.

Questions; How long will the chain link fence and re-bar last submerged in spring fed super clean fresh water?

Any Ideas? Think it will work?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You want to just put the bags of concrete right in the water?

I think you would be better off making a slab with the chain link in it like rebar on dry land and let it cure. Then drag into the water
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You could make a concrete slab to extend your current ramp.

Build a form with a wood base right on top of the current ramp. Then Push it in.

There are a bunch of Youtube videos of that being done on a much larger scale.

Just an idea.

Rising Sun, IN Boat Ramp slab push
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Great Ideas but I'm not seeing forms built, steel tied, mud truck and heavy equipment showing up for what I figure is a little $300 project tops.

I know, go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
If this is a temporary issue (drought) I'd just use PT lumber and make two tracks for the trailer to roll in on. Remove it and throw it to the side when you no longer need it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
got a tractor? a precast plant will sell you precast ramp planks for like 50 bucks a piece...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top