Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 12:39:24 PM EDT
Alright, so when I bought the house, it had marble flooring and some carpet in the family and living rooms. The carpet needs to go. I found the laminate that I like and pulled up the carpet and tack strips and base boards.

Question now is do I need a transition between the marble and the new laminate? I have seen examples of both. But what is correct?

If no transition, then should I caulk between the wood and tile?

I don't really want to cover the decorative marble edging, but the wife wants to make sure it's done right.

I will try to get some pics up here in a few.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Laminate expands and contracts, so it requires a transition to hide the gap between it and the marble. With that being said, I have never had any issues butting to a marble transition and using caulk/silicone as long as the runs were less than 20 feet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
It is called a T-bar.  You can buy it in wood, composite,  or aluminum. Install with construction glue. In Lowes or Homey-D, it is usually found stored vertically in a tube at the ends of the flooring aisles.  

At the transition from porcelain to wood in my office, I just used grout because the two surfaces were absolutely even.  It has held just fine.  Caulk would have worked too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, looks like I will go with the transition. Didn't realize at first, the family room has 3 edges that would go against the marble. If I leave gaps for swelling, they might not sit just right. So I want to make sure I have enough room for expansion. So transition it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top