Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 11:04:06 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The 6 year old LG fridge/freezer hasn't been cooling like it should.
So I had someone pop the back off to clean and check. Wasnt really dirty but I noticed what looks like corrosion poking out from under paint on high pressure side.
So touching it and it flaked off kinda easy, reminds me of the flux on a brazing rod, dry and fine grit.
I thought it might be normal if its where the system is brazed together and then painted over.

I've never work on a freezer or brazed any compressor system components so could this be a non issue or is it a seep?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like flux residue.

Scrape a spot gently with a pocket knife (90 degrees) and see if it flakes off.

Refrigeration oil can dry but will not harden for the most part.

The closing crimp looks not very good.

Is it crimped and soldered/ brazed?  That would be OK.

Just a crimp would be bad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I scraped it and it's dry.
Feels like gritty like flux.

Thanks for reply.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Most likely flux.

The coil is steel and when you braze copper to steel you need flux

Find local HVAC guy and give $75 to put a piercing valve on it and a couple ounces of gas in it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top