Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2017 3:25:47 PM EDT
I found a guy selling a used L-Tec Migmaster 225 on Craigslist. Used in a Chevy dealership, has the spot and stitch weld module. Listed for $500, but seems motivated to sell, so can probably get him to 300, maybe lower.

I've needed a welder for a while, and while I have something of a disdain for GMAW and FCAW (I was a welding engineer at a nuclear plant for a few years and it was all SMAW and GTAW), I'm getting too old to fuck around with trying to learn fine motor skills required for those.  This is an industrial sized unit, and will weld up to 1/4" plate (I think), and can obviously turn down enough for sheet metal if it was used at a dealership.

Should I fo?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the fact that it has the spot weld feature and that it's an industrial machine, but can you easily obtain consumables?
Not as important, but if it breaks, who can repair it?
If you can get consumables, then go for it at the lower price or thereabouts.  Finding someone who can repair it is the cherry on top of a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the fact that it has the spot weld feature and that it's an industrial machine, but can you easily obtain consumables?
If you can get consumables, then go for it at the lower price or thereabouts.  Finding someone who can repair it is the cherry on top of a good deal.
View Quote
By "consumables", do you mean wire?  Or stuff like liners and gun tips?

I thought wire was pretty standard.

Other parts are available on the aftermarket, though the gun itself appears obsolete.  But there are replacement guns available.

ESAB apparently bought L-Tec after Union Carbide got rid of it's welding division.  So there's some support available.  I think they actually still sell the Migmaster 250, which appears to be an uprated version of this one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Other parts are available on the aftermarket, though the gun itself appears obsolete.  But there are replacement guns available.

ESAB apparently bought L-Tec after Union Carbide got rid of it's welding division.  So there's some support available.  I think they actually still sell the Migmaster 250, which appears to be an uprated version of this one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely the L-Tec used a Tweco gun on it. Tweco you can easily get tips, liners and nozzles for it. Also the guns are not the expensive to replace. If you can get the welder for $300, might be worth throwing on a new gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Consumables are the tips, liners, nozzles, etc.
Being able to get parts for the gun is important, as the parts in the gun wear out.
The poster above has got it right, and when/if the time comes to replace the gun, you could probably replace it with a newer model.
Contact a welding supply shop and ask them if it's possible to get parts for that gun or to retrofit a newer gun.
I'm sure there are plenty of places that have older machines that could not justify replacement of the entire machine, and replaced the gun instead.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#5]
It's an MT-200 gun, or should be if it's the original.  A bit of googling says I can still get some NOS consumables, or switch to a newer gun.

My Dad's going to take a look at it.  Guy said he could run a bead, though without gas (no bottle).  That will at least prove the feed works.

Any other things he should look at?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Tweco and ESAB merged at one point, most guns for that size machine pretty much interchange.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Aaaand, it's mine. $300. Still up at my Dad's, will pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Now, for the manual...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#8]
You got a nice deal for $300.
Having one machine that welds and does spot welds is fantastic.
I'd give 10 leftists for a spot weld feature on my machine.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You got a nice deal for $300.
Having one machine that welds and does spot welds is fantastic.
I'd give 10 leftists for a spot weld feature on my machine.  
View Quote
I'll let you know if I find one for sale under $9.99.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top