Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 12:45:02 PM EDT
As part of my patio remodel I'd like to move my downspout to avoid putting concrete around the drain near the foundation.
If possible, I'd like a fitting/adaptor that would allow me to move the downspout around the corner shown in the pic below.
And, once I offset the downspout, I'll need to have something to turn the DS 90° so it sits flat against the back of the house wall.

Any ideas?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Add a couple PVC parts in there?

If I understand what you're trying to do, it's mostly the 90-degree turns in the gutterspout parts that are jamming you up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Add a couple PVC parts in there?

If I understand what you're trying to do, it's mostly the 90-degree turns in the gutterspout parts that are jamming you up.
View Quote
I may do this. Kind of focal point on the patio so I want to clean it up a bit. I'll hit a home center on the way home and see what fittings I can find to jog around that corner. I'm thinking there must be a flex fitting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
A few angles that face the correct direction is all you need.  Remove down tube, and connect a couple 90's to go around the corner.

Or get a flexible section to go around corner and over to downspout.  I think the hard pieces will look better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Move it towards the corner and attach it on its narrow side to the other wall.

If it will not be against the wall use a short piece as a 'spacer' that does not flow any water just holds the downspout further away from the wall.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
They make the 90* gutter fittings to move that around the corner. You'll need one to turn it from vertical to horizontal going toward the corner, then one to bend the corner, and finally one to go from horizontal back to vertical down the other wall.

ETA: This is assuming you'll keep the same connection to the gutter and just move the vertical run around the corner leaving the same horizontal run from the gutter to the wall.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys...yup, they make a an elbow which also turns 90° so I can keep the DS flat against the wall. I picked up a new 10' run of DS and a bunch of elbows including a "flex" elbow just in case as I need to jog over to the end of the house. Trying to avoid the flex but we'll see.

Found the stuff at Lowes during lunch today. Will mess around with the install tonight and post a pic later.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Patch the existing hole in the gutter or replace that section of gutter.
Put a new downspout adapter in the bottom of the gutter, a foot to the left of what is there now, or however far to get around the corner of the house.
Run new downspout straight down the other side.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Patch the existing hole in the gutter or replace that section of gutter.
Put a new downspout adapter in the bottom of the gutter, a foot to the left of what is there now, or however far to get around the corner of the house.
Run new downspout straight down the other side.
View Quote
I think that's the cleanest way. Continuous gutter, metal. Do they make a plug patch I could seal up? Stopping by the store again on the way home and will look.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Move the drain to the far end and use a 'B' elbow.
'B' elbows bend on the skinny side.  The elbow in your photo is an 'A' elbow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think that's the cleanest way. Continuous gutter, metal. Do they make a plug patch I could seal up? Stopping by the store again on the way home and will look.
View Quote
You can just rivet in a piece with some sealant. But it'll look crappy

Honestly I'd just replace that section of gutter with a new piece and put the outlet in the right place to hit the other side of the house

Eta: I'm not sure what the initial problem is for sure. Your downspout ends and transitions to schedule 20 PVC well before grade. I don't see what the issue would be pouring around it. You can wrap a thin layer of expanding joint membrane around it If that is your concern.

I don't see how moving the down spout around d the corner helps anything unless you dig up and re-run the drain pipe. I certainly wouldn't add a bunch of 90 degree fittings to bring it around the corner

Maybe I'm missing something?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top