Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 9:13:08 PM EDT
Washer drain is getting just a little slow, so I have to baby sit it so I don't get a little bit of water in the floor.
I just have to stand and watch when it drains and open the lid for a second.
Ties to the kitchen sink about 40 ft away, and the sink is a little slow, so I'm assuming its grease.
Anyway, there is PVC, cast iron, and galvanized pipe in this house.
Anything safe for all three like the lye based one at ACE ??? (can't remember the name)
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used the lye based ones just let them sit at least overnight for best results. Didn't have much luck with the thicker gel based stuff just didn't seem to work as good as the cheaper shit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.oatey.com/products/drain-and-waste-system-cleaners/liquid/clobber-for-professional-use-only-not-for-retail-sale

This is heavy duty stuff.

Probably best to just snake it if it is just grease.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
No matter what you do,  take apart the p trap and clean it out first.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I use this stuff for slow shower drains.
It is sodium hydroxide instead of acid.
http://www.insta-flo.com/
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Snake it and be done with it
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The chemical drain cleaners really only work for hair clogs.  If you pour dangerous chemicals into the pipes and the clog doesn't clear you have clogged pipes full of dangerous chemicals.

Snake it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a rubber bladder that fits on the end of a hose recently and used it to unclog my kitchen sink.  I put it down the stack on the roof about 10 feet so it was past where the sink drops in.  Turn on the hose and unclogged almost instantly.  About $10.  Not sure how effective it would be on a slow drain though vs a stopped drain.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I can remove a p-trap and eliminate the clog there if necessary, most of mine over the years have been downstream from that.
My dad used a garden hose (wet rag as a seal) either in the drain or roof vent. I've been successful with this but also use a canister snake...IIRC Harbor Freight might have a power auger.

Snake it but give the water hose a shot. Be careful if you're sure the lines are tied elsewhere...watch for a blow hole
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one of those chrome water fire extinguishers that you can use and refill as often as you want.  It does a fantastic job of clearing toilet clogs without making a mess (like plungers do).  If you spot one for cheap BUY IT; they are very useful!

After use just refill the water to the proper level and recharge about 120psi with an air compressor and it's ready for the next fire or clog.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:51:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I fought a drain from my kitchen sink that goes into my basement and under the concrete for 4 years. It is cast iron and old, figured I would have to chisel it up and replace it when I poured about everything down it, bought the small hand snake from the hardware store, always ran slow. It is about a 30 feet span under the floor

Last resort hired a guy to snake it with a bigger unit. Cost $100. Was worth it and would of saved a ton of hassle if I had just done it the first time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Lye based 'cleaners' work well on hair.  They can attack and dissolve it.

Sulfuric acid based cleaners work on lint (cotton) by dissolving it.

Sulfuric will work on hair also so it is the more common 'go to' for a pro.

Lye does almost nothing for cotton lint though.

If either does not work you have a real PITA dangerous problem.

A pipe with corrosive (to humans) chemicals.

I still try and use an auger first and at least poke a hole to drain.

If you check the auger when you pull it back you can often get a better idea of what was in the pipe.

You can clear a wash towel with sulfuric acid fron a toilet line.

Snagging it with an auger and pulling it back is still better.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been using septic enzyme digesting treatments on my normal to sewer drains.  Just a few ounces down each once a month or so.  The shower is the only place I can see it change, but it does seem to clean out some of the random non-hair gunk down there.

So maybe try something that uses biology to eat the grease.

Side bonus, it's safe to touch so it's not going to burn you if you gotta dig the pipe out later. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:If either does not work you have a real PITA dangerous problem.

A pipe with corrosive (to humans) chemicals.
View Quote
That's what I was saying earlier.  Here's an anecdote:

Some years ago I was at a Thanksgiving dinner at a friend-of-a-friend.  I noticed the hostess was peeling potatoes into the sink and I warned her that she should NOT try to put those down the disposal.  Like all halfwits she didn't listen and ran the disposal to make the potato peels go away. She laughed when they disappeared and everything was fine.   After dinner someone came out of the bathroom with the news that the bathtub was filling with sewage.  Every time someone flushed the toilet it reappeared in the tub. She poured some chemical drain cleaner into the sink confident it would clear the clog.  That's about the time I went home.  

A couple days later I heard the epilogue to the story.  She may or may not have tried more chemical drain cleaner; that part isn't clear.  In the end the bill for the plumber reached four figures.  

Hey, I tried....
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Just use lye, might be hard to get seems like it is used in making making meth.
The guy at the hardware store grilled me about what I was using it for.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just use lye, might be hard to get seems like it is used in making making meth.
The guy at the hardware store grilled me about what I was using it for.
View Quote
Old style Drano was lye with aluminum chips added.

The lye dissolves in water and then attacks the aluminum chips creating heat to try and soften grease.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The lye dissolves in water and then attacks the aluminum chips creating heat to try and soften grease.
View Quote
Adding a strong lye to water is like adding strong acid to water. It creates heat and cause it to boil violently.  Lye reacts with aluminium to release hydrogen gas which is also flammable.

Drano if it was lye based couldn't have had aluminum chips because it would explode the bottle due to the volume of hydrogen gas produced. That's why juveniles would put aluminium foil and drano in a pop bottle and screw the lid on. Much like the same with dry ice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Adding a strong lye to water is like adding strong acid to water. It creates heat and cause it to boil violently.  Lye reacts with aluminium to release hydrogen gas which is also flammable.

Drano if it was lye based couldn't have had aluminum chips because it would explode the bottle due to the volume of hydrogen gas produced. That's why juveniles would put aluminium foil and drano in a pop bottle and screw the lid on. Much like the same with dry ice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old style Drano was not a liquid.

It was a dry mix of lye and some aluminum chips.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Old style Drano was not a liquid.

It was a dry mix of lye and some aluminum chips.
View Quote
That's what the Insta Flo drain opener that I posted above is. I don't know if it has aluminum but it looks like a matte white / grey colored glass candy. The MSDS sheet says its just sodium hydroxide flakes. It also says it doesn't pose any flammable or explosion risk.  It does fiz pretty bad when the hot water hits it. I don't really want to try taking a match or lighter to it to see if its hydrogen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#19]
A couple years ago I switched over to Bio Clean and haven't looked back.  It's essentially the same bacteria stuff that's used at sewage plants to dissolve solids.  No crazy chemical mixtures, no heat...not really dangerous at all.  Just dump a mixture down the drain and let it sit overnight while you sleep.  Wake up in the morning and run the water.

Link
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:43:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Before dumping caustic chemicals in your sinks I would dump in some baking soda followed by white vinegar, then after a few minutes dump in a pot of hot water.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#21]
My master bath has had a slow drain for the 16 years I have used it.  My local Fred Meyer had a gallon jug of lie based cleaner.  

The instructions said to use the whole bottle and it worked well.  There was a warning about explosive blow back sometimes.

Two years later and the drain is slow again but I'll try another bottle.  I think the backup is far enough away from the tub that

gallon volume is needed.  I follow with a tub of hot water.  I used to spend a fortune on the quart size bottles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Look for a liquid drain cleaner called "Liquid Fire" in a red plastic bottle.
Pour in a dry drain and let sit for 15-30 mins. Flush with water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top