Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2017 1:11:51 PM EDT
A few months ago, I asked about what miter saw I should get. But I guess my thread dissappeared with the new site layout (thanks obama).
My budget the. was around $350. Lots of you guys mentioned the Dewalt 716.

I almost bought it. Then held out for a little while as I didn't need it right then.
But I decided to spend a little bit more and go with team blue-green 

I bought the Makita LS1016L.
10" blade should be fine. I'm not making huge miter cuts, and I have a 12" craftsman chop saw for anything large I need for 90 cuts.

Was going to buy it at home depot online, but found one on jet.com cheaper plus 15% off and free 2 day shipping.
Basically saving me $90. Now I just need to start looking at stands.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the space do a built in bench. I have a stand and it's a PITA. I've toyed with saying fuck it and build a sawhorse based stand that has more support and weight to it. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A few months ago, I asked about what miter saw I should get. But I guess my thread dissappeared with the new site layout (thanks obama).

I almost bought it. Then held out for a little while as I didn't need it right then.

10" blade should be fine. I'm not making huge miter cuts, and I have a 12" craftsman chop saw for anything large I need for 90 cuts.

Was going to buy it at home depot online, but found one on jet.com cheaper plus 15% off and free 2 day shipping.
View Quote

I was expecting to see Festool Kapex

Agree with dedicated miter station if you have the room.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have the room.
The garage is now a living room.

When I get done with the house, I'll probably keep it in my parents shop until I get something decent in the back yard.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have the room.
The garage is now a living room.

When I get done with the house, I'll probably keep it in my parents shop until I get something decent in the back yard.
View Quote
I basically built a portable station. I have a plywood base built with risers even with my miter saw. It sits on saw horses and takes up a space 30"x10"x90" when stored in the corner of the garage.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the DeWalt stand with extending wing things, love it. Sets up easily and the brackets have feet on them so you can still easily use the saw on a flat surface if you dont wanna use the stand. Plus extra brackets are ~$28 so you can use to mount other tools on it too, im making a router table to mount on mine.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have the DeWalt stand with extending wing things, love it. Sets up easily and the brackets have feet on them so you can still easily use the saw on a flat surface if you dont wanna use the stand. Plus extra brackets are ~$28 so you can use to mount other tools on it too, im making a router table to mount on mine.
View Quote
I just bought a dewalt dws780 and the dewalt stand came with it for free at lowes. They were out of stands so I'm still waiting for it to come in, but I expect to be happy soon.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I just bought a dewalt dws780 and the dewalt stand came with it for free at lowes. They were out of stands so I'm still waiting for it to come in, but I expect to be happy soon.
View Quote
I'm looking at the 779, the same saw without the guide light and much less expensive.  Let me know what you think of yours once you have a chance to play with it.

I really wanted the Bosch GCM12SD but $650 is just too much.  Then the other day I was in HD and noticed they weren't selling them anymore.  The placard was turned around and when I pulled it out and look they had closed them out at $339!  WHAT..... THE......  So mad I missed that deal.  I took a picture and tried to get other stores to price match but they refused.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm looking at the 779, the same saw without the guide light and much less expensive.  Let me know what you think of yours once you have a chance to play with it.

I really wanted the Bosch GCM12SD but $650 is just too much.  Then the other day I was in HD and noticed they weren't selling them anymore.  The placard was turned around and when I pulled it out and look they had closed them out at $339!  WHAT..... THE......  So mad I missed that deal.  I took a picture and tried to get other stores to price match but they refused.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the 779 doesn't come with a free 200$ stand!

I just bought a house and am putting down new floor and trim. So in the next couple weeks I hope to give it a workout between the two. The guide light is kind of awesome though so I would have bought it anyway lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just bought a house and am putting down new floor and trim. So in the next couple weeks I hope to give it a workout between the two. The guide light is kind of awesome though so I would have bought it anyway lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would jump on that deal if they allowed you to swap the stand for the rolling stand, which is also $200.

I went to get a picture (because we all love pictures!) of the rolly stand and see it's available in that combo at HD:

Attachment Attached File

bank account in trouble....

EDIT to add:  Pulled the trigger on the saw and rolly stand at HD.  It wasn't available for pick-up or ship-to-store, only online ordering.  There doesn't seem to be a way to get my military discount online though.  So I started a chat and got the saw and stand with free shipping to my door for $588.87 total.    Should be here next week.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would jump on that deal if they allowed you to swap the stand for the rolling stand, which is also $200.

I went to get a picture (because we all love pictures!) of the rolly stand and see it's available in that combo at HD:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/Untitled-181508.JPG

EDIT to add:  Pulled the trigger on the saw and rolly stand at HD.  It wasn't available for pick-up or ship-to-store, only online ordering.  There doesn't seem to be a way to get my military discount online though.  So I started a chat and got the saw and stand with free shipping to my door for $588.87 total.    Should be here next week.
View Quote
What magic voodoo did you do in order to get the .mil discount online???  I've had no luck with the chat in the past
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Ended up getting the Makita jobsite roller stand.
Also bought a Diablo 10" 80 tooth blade.

$300 shipped for both.  Not bad.

Wish I had known about the Dewalt combo at first. Oh well.

Time to shop for an air compressor. I have a little crapsman that my dad bought me as a wedding gift.
He had one just like it, but some asshole stole it, so I let him use mine as it was in storage during our housing debacle after the house we were renting was sold out from under us with little warning.

But now it sucks and doesn't hold air. Solenoid or something is busted.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What magic voodoo did you do in order to get the .mil discount online???  I've had no luck with the chat in the past
View Quote
In the lower right of the page there was a chat option so I clicked it.  The HD rep couldn't do the mil discount but applied some other discount.  It came to better than the mil discount.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/Untitled-181508.JPG

View Quote
Nice, miter saw buying fools up in this thread
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I move mine a lot. I set it on an old dryer in my shop. Heavy enough to not bolt down. Tailgate makes a great work bench. Mine is a 12" compound and it is not big enough at times.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#15]
This stand is sweet.

Bosch
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This stand is sweet.

Bosch
View Quote
I almost bought it, but the Makita stand is a bit lighter 
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a nice saw but you will learn to hate the blade adjusters.  I hate them compared to my old DeWalt
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Completely irrelevant to your post, but I fully expected this to be another cut lower thread and jumped in with eager anticipation.

With that said, good saw advice here. lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#19]
FWIW, Lowe's also has the Dewalt 780 on sale for like $566 with free stand as well.
And the 779 marked down to $400.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FWIW, Lowe's also has the Dewalt 780 on sale for like $566 with free stand as well.

And the 779 marked down to $400.
View Quote
Sometimes the prices vary depending on location, and we usually pay more out here in paradise, but I put in a few Texas stores and the price was still $599.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#21]
The Makita is a nice saw.  This model has been around a long time and many pros have relied on it to put food on the table.  It should serve you well for many years.  Don't go start second guessing and wondering if you should've could've would've with other saws.  When it comes to purchases like this it's all about preference. Makita is top level brand like Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch.  It's like Ford vs Chevy vs Ram vs Toyota.  All brands are going to have haters and loyalist.

Congrats and make some saw dust.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#22]
The saw and stand finally arrived.  

THE STAND: The stand was much heavier than the saw, and getting the boxes off my porch was a chore (wife called me at work said she couldn't move them so she was going to leave them there until I got home.  So I came home).  Assembly was low drama and it appears well built.  One disappointment was that the outriggers no long have rollers, just a static bar.  The videos I watched showed rollers but in the end I don't think it's all that big a deal unless you're working with heavy lumber.

THE SAW: I'm glad I got the 780 over the 779, the light that casts the blade's shadow on your work is pretty cool.  I have an angle gauge on order so I can get the blade all aligned properly.  Other than a couple quick cuts I didn't get much time to play with it as dinner was ready.

I am considering mounting it one the cart shown in the photos.  I picked up several of these from the WA state auction for something like $20 each and sold all but one.  They are really laptop charging carts with doors on both sides.  I dissembled them and removed every-other shelf so I could put my DeWalt 20V tools inside.  The carts are pretty cool; they have a timer (black box in the lower right) that allows you to select a time period, after which it shuts down.  There are dozens of outlets inside for rechargeable tools and a couple more on the outside; I'll plug the saw into one of those.  I put a pic of one of the smaller carts I got as well; these things are really cool.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Finally got my stand in. Makes moving it around so much easier.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#24]
You know how hindsight is 20/20.  I now wished I had gotten a sliding miter saw rather than my fixed 12".  I thought it would be enough, and it is, so long as I don't have to cut anything wider than say 6".  So I used my tablesaw and cross cut sled to chop down a 2x12 and 2x8 IOT cut out some nasty knots before running them through my thickness planer.  The tension in the wood on the 2x12 caused a nice kick back that embedded a nice sized shard of wood into my arm.  Talk about a moment of pure stupidity on my part.  

Lesson learned...next time cut it down to size by hand first and buy a damned sliding miter when this one gives up the ghost.

I might look into one of those carts to also use with my thickness planer.  It's a bitch dealing with it on the ground.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Lowes was out of the stand when I bought mine. It finally came in yesterday. Got it setup and started my flooring. This puppy is sweet, if not overkill

Dog stuck around to guard the new toys. She was moved before the fun got started.

Almost thought the xps light was busted until I found the separate switch for the light
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:28:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You could just use a circular saw and a square to cut it down to rough size too.
View Quote
Yeah....but that would require that I have some circular saw blades.  I burned up my last one late last year.  just haven't gotten around to buying more. Guess that sorta bit me in the ass....err...arm.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top