Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2017 9:05:25 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I had a ton of roof damage from a severe windstorm here two weeks ago. I had four local roofers give me estimates:

#1 Company - This company is very highly rated online with many reviews on various sites. They've been in the area for over 15 years. The salesman spent an hour measuring and working out the estimate. He was low pressure and informative. I called them a day later to tarp the damage and they were out within the hour and did a great job. He came out when my adjustor was here.
$15,000 for Certainteed Landmark, $16,000 for Atlas Pinnacle, $17,500 for Atlas Stormmaster Class 4, but they also install other brands. All are tear-offs because they don't recommend a recover.

#2 Company - I met him when he pulled up and he handed me a contract and told me if I signed he'd get my insurance to pay for my roof. Only problem, he couldn't see the damage (it's in the back). Looked at me like I was stupid when I asked for details like what kind of shingles, etc. Pass.

#3 Company - My neighbor had a contractor over, and he asked me if I'd like an estimate. The contractor was in an unmarked van and the estimate was on a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy. He told me not to bother with my insurance since the damage wasn't extensive enough to warrant a claim.
$7,000 for a recover, $10,000 for Timberline HD tear-off. Pass.

#4 Company - Highly rated and in business since 1998. The owner did the estimate and provided a ton of sales literature.
$24,500 for GAF 3-tabs, $29,500 for Timberline HD, $33,000 for GAF Lifetime Value.

I'm set on Company #1 because I can't see the point in spending $10,000+ more for the same product from Company #4. The others gave me the willies.

My insurance is paying out $17,500 for the roof.

I've done a ton of research online. Basically, all the shingle companies have had issues and all of them offer a similar warranty. Atlas has a 15 year non-prorated warranty. Certainteed is a little less. Company #1 offers a 12-year no-leak garrantee. Any one have experience with Atlas? We have issues with Algae in my neighborhood. Some houses have it, some don't. Atlas offers Scotchguard and copper granules, but Certainteed has a 10-year algae warranty.

I don't plan on living here for more than 5 more years.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If I was selling in 5 years I would hammer those back down and pocket 17 grand.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was selling in 5 years I would hammer those back down and pocket 17 grand.
View Quote
I agree.  If that pic is showing the worst of it then just replace what the wind blew and keep the $ for now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I agree.  If that pic is showing the worst of it then just replace what the wind blew and keep the $ for now.
View Quote
No, it caused more damage. That pic is from the beginning of the storm.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Trust your instincts. Go with #1.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh.  I vote #1/Landmarks then.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Holy crap! $33,000 for a new roof, and it comes with the warranty!  I cant tell the size of your roof and I don't know the location, but the insurance will pay out anywhere from $225 to $275 per square. And maybe it is close to 60sq, but I think those numbers are a bit crazy.  The regional GAF rep is sitting in the office next door, but they played games with numbers last year and have been trying to win us back since.  If I had a choice, I'd put Owens Corning Durations on my roof or the Certainteeds.  If you want to get a feel for what you are getting billed for, go to EAGLEVIEW  and order one of their premium reports for roughly $75 I think.  It will tell you almost exactly what the roofer will need to do the job.  Specifically the number of squares on the roof.  We don't sell retail or chase storms, but when we get someone who wants us to do the roof, we don't even field measure anymore.  For $50 we can get a full report with measurements and all we have to do is driveby and confirm the layers on the roof and a few other little things.  

As a roofer... never trust a roofer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Your roof is going to cost half as much as my house and 20 acres....  Also...Price a metal roof....
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your roof is going to cost half as much as my house and 20 acres....  Also...Price a metal roof....
View Quote
+1 on metal roof
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#9]
WOW - I feel like they heard ins and bumped it up but Im just guessing. Cant tell your sq ft but thats double what mine cost.

I replaced mine in 2012 with GAF timberline HD - I am probably ball park 2000 sq ft of shingles with steep pitch and multiple joining surfaces on two floors. I was done with some ply wood replacement for $13,500.

ETA included 5 year full warranty 25 year manufacturer

ETA2: And as the one said NEVER TRUST A ROOFER. Plan on being there and signing off as they go through. I made this mistake
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+1 on metal roof
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 on metal roof
+ 1

I got a Tamko metal shingle roof (looks like slate from ground) for the top $$ shingle price on a past house. It was warrantied to CAT 3 winds.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#11]
That seems really high!  How many squares is your roof? ( should be on the estimate )  Just looking at your photo I would 20-30 sq max unless you have a huge extension that sticks out the other side.  

Their total expenses for materials will be around 2-3k I would guess, and they will have it done in 2 days, unless they are slow.

That should give you an idea of how much profit the owner will get.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That seems really high!  How many squares is your roof? ( should be on the estimate )  Just looking at your photo I would 20-30 sq max unless you have a huge extension that sticks out the other side.  

Their total expenses for materials will be around 2-3k I would guess, and they will have it done in 2 days, unless they are slow.

That should give you an idea of how much profit the owner will get.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

None of the estimates list the squares. Couple of pics for reference.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Holy crap! $33,000 for a new roof, and it comes with the warranty!  I cant tell the size of your roof and I don't know the location, but the insurance will pay out anywhere from $225 to $275 per square. And maybe it is close to 60sq, but I think those numbers are a bit crazy.  The regional GAF rep is sitting in the office next door, but they played games with numbers last year and have been trying to win us back since.  If I had a choice, I'd put Owens Corning Durations on my roof or the Certainteeds.  If you want to get a feel for what you are getting billed for, go to EAGLEVIEW  and order one of their premium reports for roughly $75 I think.  It will tell you almost exactly what the roofer will need to do the job.  Specifically the number of squares on the roof.  We don't sell retail or chase storms, but when we get someone who wants us to do the roof, we don't even field measure anymore.  For $50 we can get a full report with measurements and all we have to do is driveby and confirm the layers on the roof and a few other little things.  

View Quote
I asked the roofer, and they will do Owens Corning Durations for the same price as the Atlas Pinnacles ($16,000).
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#14]
You probably are in the range of 50 to 60 squares and it looks to me like most of the roof is 10/12 pitch, which does add to the labor cost. The $17000 isn't as out of line as I first thought. That shot of the back of the house from original post definitely doesn't give quite the actual size of the house. If you go with a decent dimensional shingle and  install in decently warm weather, I honestly wouldn't worry about an extra warranty. If they blow off, it's likely because you were hit by a tornado and you're replacing the house. The OC durations are rated to 130 mph with just 4 nails.

Just avoid IKO, their 3tab has made my life miserable. It's great for repairs because they don't seal, but when the wind blows the house waves hello to you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You probably are in the range of 50 to 60 squares and it looks to me like most of the roof is 10/12 pitch, which does add to the labor cost. The $17000 isn't as out of line as I first thought. That shot of the back of the house from original post definitely doesn't give quite the actual size of the house. If you go with a decent dimensional shingle and  install in decently warm weather, I honestly wouldn't worry about an extra warranty. If they blow off, it's likely because you were hit by a tornado and you're replacing the house. The OC durations are rated to 130 mph with just 4 nails.

Just avoid IKO, their 3tab has made my life miserable. It's great for repairs because they don't seal, but when the wind blows the house waves hello to you.
View Quote
Thanks man! Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
We had Certainteed Landmarks installed. I'm happy with them thus far. They seem to be the standard that most companies use around my AO.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#17]
OST
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Those prices are inflated. $7-8K sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
$150 a square here.  

Eagleview is what the USAA adjuster here uses.

The dude claiming he'll get insurance to cover it is a scammer.  He's gonna try and beat your insurance company into submission and then do 10% of what they pay him to do.  Tons of them here.  
Let me guess, the contract states you'll pay him what the insurance pays you.  And he's trying to sell you something different than what is on the adjustment?

I'm a GC doing several neighbors roofs as a GC for free to make sure they don't get scammed.  

1 seems like your best bet.  A ton of shitty scamming roofing assholes out there who chase hail and wind.  Pisses me off to no other.

ETA.  We have flat roofs here.  These dicks just come along and grab a 30k check from the insurance companies for a modified bitument replacement on a stucco house and put a polymer coat on it.  Takind 25k+ as profit and fucking the homeowner since it wasn't repaired correctly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top