Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 4:37:32 PM EDT
May have been there before but I just noticed it. Does not go from wall to wall or any wall for that matter. Comes from where the garage floor transitions from low to high and ends about 10 foot in a roughly straight line. I figure why not ask those more knowledgeable than me.
the wet look is freshly applied sealant.

Thanks all

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your question?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That isn't shit, if that is your question.  Every room in my house has worse slab cracks than that.  My entire stem wall in my garage has sunk slightly causing a heave in the center.  My neighbor's house is worse.  It will probably take ten years before it gets bad enough for a jack hammer and repour, but now that I have rain gutters, it may never be an issue.  It cracked along the cut grooves.  I filled that in with leftover mortar from tile jobs because it is flexible.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your question?
View Quote
Would help right? Any cause for concern? Any products I can use other than painting to cover it. Yea my OCD is out of wack.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That isn't shit, if that is your question.  Every room in my house has worse slab cracks than that.  My entire stem wall in my garage has sunk slightly causing a heave in the center.  My neighbor's house is worse.  It will probably take ten years before it gets bad enough for a jack hammer and repour, but now that I have rain gutters, it may never be an issue.  It cracked along the cut grooves.  I filled that in with leftover mortar from tile jobs because it is flexible.
View Quote
Yea I kinda figured as much. Just wanted confirmation that I'm worried about nothing
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
2 kinds of concrete, that which has cracked and that which will crack.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
2 kinds of concrete, that which has cracked and that which will crack.
View Quote
This, lol.
That concrete must only be 2 or 3 years old
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Ha fair enough.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing to worry about.

Now assuming that the concrete has "settled" and you're not worrying about the crack spreading and you really want to fix it:

Take an angle grinder with a diamond wheel and "chase" the crack cutting into the concrete 1/4-3/8"

Clean out the joint with an air hose or vacuum.

Go to Fastenal (or your local equivalent) and get rapid re-floor (or similar).

Apply this in the joint you cut.

Take a floor scraper and cut it smooth with concrete.

You can them put a sanding wheel on your angle grinder and polish it smooth with the concrete.

All of the above is not necessary unless you have really bad OCD or the concrete is subject to hard-tired forklift use.

Rapid Re-floor:
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
A concrete guy once told me, two things you can always be certain of when it comes to concrete 1. Nobody is gonna steal it and 2. It's gonna crack.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A concrete guy once told me, two things you can always be certain of when it comes to concrete 1. Nobody is gonna steal it and 2. It's gonna crack.
View Quote
A friend of mine is a concrete guy and he says something similar. "I warranty my work against theft and fire, and I guarantee it will eventually crack.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a guy install some tile in my house several years ago. After I pulled the carpet and pads, every room had
some cracks. Basically your slab settles and adjusts by cracking even tho you have rebar and concrete reinforcing wire in the
slab. He wasn't worried and said it was normal. Said every house my age (30 years) has some cracks. He spread some quickset and floated the floors to ensure the rooms were level. Had been laying tile for 30+ years and came highly recommended. Did a good job.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Cracks that are NOT open or uneven across the crack are hardly worth worrying about.

How often do you get freezing temps?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Not often. Maybe a few weeks in winter.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not often. Maybe a few weeks in winter.
View Quote
I would leave it alone.

It is so small you will have a real problem getting anything into it without covering and forcing the filler material into the gap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top