Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2017 4:27:09 AM EDT
Hey guys another question.

I'm about to put the walls up in my shop and I'm framing the raised pad for the hearth.  Before I install the osb on the wall in the corner where the stove will be is there anything I should do?  I've heard of people putting some kind of foil stuff behind it?  Anyway I'm doing the hearth the top will be 3/4 inch ply with 1/2 inch durock on top of it and some type of stone veneer or tile on top of that.  The walls will be the osb that's going everywhere else in the shop primed and painted. Then I'll do  1" stand off from the hearth pad and the wall then durock. After the durock standoff I'll do the same stone veneer or tile on it.  I was planning on going up the wall 4 feet or so.  The pipe will have plenty of clearance like more than 20" so that's why I hought I'd do one course of the rock etc.  does anyone see any glaring issues with this plan?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Wood stove clearances are specific to the stove itself, the type of flue, and the state or local codes.

It sounds like you are on the right path with non combustible coverings and standoffs, but look these things up and know for sure.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]
What stove? That will meet the requirements for some but not for all.

How high will the hearth be? In some areas, a hearth has to be at least 18 inches above the floor when mounted in a shop.

Is your local jurisdiction good with a stove in the shop? Some places aren't.

Is your insurance ok with it?   Some companies don't care. Some won't insure you if you have a stove in a shop.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]
My insurance company told me as long as it's all installed correctly then they don't care.  I did everything myself and to code where I could find reference.  i am very meticulous about this sort of thing.  The hearth will be 2' off the concrete floor.  I might add this is a detached shop that's about 50 yds from the actual house.  Ceiling support box is mounted correctly and the box goes all the way to the ceiling.  No insulation or anything comes near it.  The stove is a vogelzang boxwood stove. Little cast iron job. Piping in shop is going to be single wall and double wall stainless insulated from the ceiling support box all the way to the top  from there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My insurance company told me as long as it's all installed correctly then they don't care.  I did everything myself and to code where I could find reference.  i am very meticulous about this sort of thing.  The hearth will be 2' off the concrete floor.  I might add this is a detached shop that's about 50 yds from the actual house.  Ceiling support box is mounted correctly and the box goes all the way to the ceiling.  No insulation or anything comes near it.  The stove is a vogelzang boxwood stove. Little cast iron job. Piping in shop is going to be single wall and double wall stainless insulated from the ceiling support box all the way to the top  from there.
View Quote
Sounds like you're doing everything right....except for that stove!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You have any suggestions on an affordable stove?  Heati a 24x30 shop
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Englander NC 30 will be on sale from Home depot soon if it isn't already.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Englander NC 30 will be on sale from Home depot soon if it isn't already.
View Quote
I've got the 30-NC and it's a great stove.

However, 1/2" of Durock isn't going to do it since the 30 requires R=1.5, 1/2" Next Gen Durock only comes out at R=0.39.  In other words, 4 sheets of Durock will be required.

Pics of my hearth:

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Englander Madison.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got the 30-NC and it's a great stove.

However, 1/2" of Durock isn't going to do it since the 30 requires R=1.5, 1/2" Next Gen Durock only comes out at R=0.39.  In other words, 4 sheets of Durock will be required.

Pics of my hearth:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Wood%20stove%20pics/IMG_20141008_085657747Large_zpsc120ceb0.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Wood%20stove%20pics/IMG_20141008_090107917Large_zps0110eb02.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Wood%20stove%20pics/IMG_20141123_170840804Large_zps0373a242.jpg
View Quote
that looks fantastic!!!!  This project is also a trial for doing the inside of the house eventually.  so id just need 4 layers on the surface the stove sits on then correct?  and then you tile over that.  only one layer of durock on the sides i would presume.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Madison needs ember protection only.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

that looks fantastic!!!!  This project is also a trial for doing the inside of the house eventually.  so id just need 4 layers on the surface the stove sits on then correct?  and then you tile over that.  only one layer of durock on the sides i would presume.
View Quote
Yes, *assuming* you buy and install a 30-NC.  Each stove has it's own requirements and you need to look at those requirements for the specific stove you buy.  As mentioned above, some stoves only require ember protection.

One layer for the sides, but two layers for the back wall.  I wasn't really sure how hot the back wall would get, so I wanted some extra protection.  My fears turned out to be baseless, though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, *assuming* you buy and install a 30-NC.  Each stove has it's own requirements and you need to look at those requirements for the specific stove you buy.  As mentioned above, some stoves only require ember protection.

One layer for the sides, but two layers for the back wall.  I wasn't really sure how hot the back wall would get, so I wanted some extra protection.  My fears turned out to be baseless, though.
View Quote
I wonder if the NC 13 and 30 need an enhanced hearth because of the ability to mount it on either the feet or the pedestal.

My Madison only mounts on a pedestal and just requires ember protection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top