Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2017 10:45:25 PM EDT
I just bought an old 27 drawer cabinet used for years by a local machinist.

After I took the drawers out I realized that all the paint on the inside is badly peeling. (looks like a different kind of paint than on the outside)

Beyond brushing with a stiff brush, what would be the best way to remove this paint? Should I remove it all? It's a shiny stainless (looking) underneath.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like aluminum to me.  Some paints just won't stick well.  A strong chemical stripper will turn the metal dark and dull.  Are you planning on reprinting or leaving bare metal?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like aluminum to me.  Some paints just won't stick well.  A strong chemical stripper will turn the metal dark and dull.  Are you planning on reprinting or leaving bare metal?
View Quote

Thanks! Could be aluminum.

Probably won't repaint.
Just want to get the drawers to stop getting flakes of paint everywhere

Might just keep brushing it with a hard brush
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
heat gun?
Old paint could has some bad stuff in it...I'll let an expert give you tips on that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Throw them down the driveway a few times

You could look into a wire wheel for a dremel/drill/grinder. You could also media blast them or have someone do it for you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Wire wheel in an electric drill.

A 'cup' style wheel works well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Local auto paint supplier should have Clean Strip Aircraft Remover. Will blow the paint off. Rinse well. If you choose to repaint, AlumiPrep clean etching solution and Alodine conversion coating. Will prep it so paint will stick tight. 
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Aircraft paint remover. Walmart sells it by the bondo/engine paints area, not with the regular paint.

The spray can is like $10 but works very well and won't do anything to the aluminum.  Wear gloves and long sleeve shirt and glasses it burns pretty good if even a paint speck gets on your skin.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!
Will the aircraft paint stripper leave anything harmful after it's applied?
This cabinet will be inside my apartment.
Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys!
Will the aircraft paint stripper leave anything harmful after it's applied?
This cabinet will be inside my apartment.
Thanks again
View Quote

When we were using it in the body shop we would wipe down with lacquer thinner afterwards to neutralize.  We then followed up with soap and water.
Any abrasive removal method is going to leave marks in the finish.  Might make the aluminum look like ass afterwards.  Now a DA sanded finish has a pleasant appearance to it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The more I think about it that could be lead paint.

At least wear a decent mask if you use power tools to remove it.

And outside in a spot you do not care if it becomes contaminated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Home lead tests are cheap.  Like $10 for a 3 pack at the hardware store.
Scratch Paint, Break capsule in tester, dab on scratched paint, look for pink, if it turns pink you have lead.

If you have lead, ideally just leave it, and if you do choose to strip it use chemical stripper and contain the chips and stripped paint.
Depending on your area homeowners are generally able to dispose of stuff like this in normal trash.

If you have lead DO NOT use mechanical means to strip it.  Wear gloves, don't let the chemical stripper burn your skin, wash your hands, wash your clothes separately.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Scratch Paint, Break capsule in tester, dab on scratched paint, look for pink, if it turns pink you have lead.

If you have lead, ideally just leave it, and if you do choose to strip it use chemical stripper and contain the chips and stripped paint.
Depending on your area homeowners are generally able to dispose of stuff like this in normal trash.

If you have lead DO NOT use mechanical means to strip it.  Wear gloves, don't let the chemical stripper burn your skin, wash your hands, wash your clothes separately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem they can have is with multiple layers of paint.

You have to make sure enough of each layer is exposed to get a reaction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top