Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2017 3:30:31 PM EDT
Went t a local home show where a snake oil salesman was pitching those devices that wrap around water pipes. Claims that's scale buildup would be eliminated in the showers, pool tiles (which I have) and water heaters.

Do they work?

Lots of self promotion on the internet but best bets are actual water softeners which seems bulky compare to other device.

My main problem is the the scale build up on pool tiles with our hard water so I'm looking for something that will help cut this down.  Thanks for any feedback.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I too was sceptical but 2 years ago I bought a Scale Blaster at Home Depot and yes it works.
No scale on any faucets and last year I drained the water heater and zero scale came out. The time before about 5 years ago there was tons of scale in the water heater.
I am a convert. On saying that my plumber buddy says there are some that work and some that don't. The Scale Blaster does work.
This is just my experience, I have no affiliation to any company making this or selling this product.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
In someone fantasy land they might but no one has done an actual lab type test and demonstrated any effect beside moving money from your wallet to their.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking and either it works or it doesn't.  I did read a good article on how they try to explain it's but just snake oil salesmanship.

I did find a good site for pool owners that talks about keeping proper chemical levels in the pool and helps control scale so I'm going to re-examine how I test my water.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting electric or magnetic fields though a conductor like copper pipe takes a LOT of power.

A time varying magnetic field induces current in any conductor that act to cancel the field.

It is way the tab on your powder scale damps the beam movement.

A conductor moving in a magnetic field.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
For your pool, check out Trouble Free Pool forum and follow their method. Use a TF-100 test kit. Zero problems with my pool.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe the Army corp of engineers did a test on them a while ago, and found them making no difference.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#7]
What purpose...?
For a chemical solution.. Food Grade Sodium Hexameta Phosphate. Run the water through a media canister with SHMP.  Old school scale inhibitor. Still used on commercial ice machines. The scale is still there. It just will not stick to anything and pass through.
Yes...removing the scale with a tradational softener is better but not everyone wants to screw with barrels, salt and electric timers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top