Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2017 10:57:54 PM EDT
i found in a dumpster 45 pcs of galvanized angle 2" x 4" x 1/8" thick x 20' long. Any ideas on what projects i could use it for?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
45 full 20 foot sticks?  Build anything and everything needing a frame.  Shelves for the basement and garage.  A deer blind.  An ice fishing shanty.  A picnic table frame.  A work bench.  All the things.
If welding, take precautions against breathing in the fumes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
yes 45 full pcs and 4- pcs 2" x 8" x 20' i cant believe what people throw away. this stuff has to be expensive. its definately heavy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice score.  Whatever you don't use, stash away up on blocks out of the mud, and it will last forever.  Trade for different shapes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#4]
You sure it just didn't get drop delivered in a dumpster to save on shipping?. I know one local roll off dumpster company that will pick up and haul from a lumber yard if you already paid for the dumpster to show up at the property.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
If you go to weld or cut it with a torch, remember that the steel is galvanized.  Do not inhale the fumes.
Also, a big thumbs up for the find of the year!  
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you go to weld or cut it with a torch, remember that the steel is galvanized.  Do not inhale the fumes.
Also, a big thumbs up for the find of the year!  
View Quote

Zinc fumes will make you sick.
'Fume fever'
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the info on the fumes. i hope they were throwing it away there was a bunch of garbage on top of it. i was thinking about about building a car port with some of it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i found in a dumpster 45 pcs of galvanized angle 2" x 4" x 1/8" thick x 20' long. Any ideas on what projects i could use it for?
View Quote

If you are interested in sharing I could use one or two pieces of that stuff.  for a nominal fee of course.  Are you close to Cincinnati?  PM me if interested.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan of having piles of "junk" (<- wife's term) lying around; sometimes the available materials inspires the project.  On the other hand, there's another option:  sell it all on Craigslist and use the money to buy something more immediately useful.  "Look what I found in the trash!" has a lot more impact when you're pointing at, say, a brand new air compressor from Lowe's rather than a scrungy pile of galvanized angle.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of having piles of "junk" (<- wife's term) lying around; sometimes the available materials inspires the project.  On the other hand, there's another option:  sell it all on Craigslist and use the money to buy something more immediately useful.  "Look what I found in the trash!" has a lot more impact when you're pointing at, say, a brand new air compressor from Lowe's rather than a scrungy pile of galvanized angle.  
View Quote

BTW...I need a new bandsaw OP...
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Target stands and vehicle barrier spikey ball things
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah the wife is not very happy about all of my "junk" but she will get over it. i have pulled lumber, garage door openers and pallets out of dumpsters. its amazing what contractors throw away.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Holy shit!

Definitely puts you to the top of the list for the You Suck! award for this month!

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]
OP sounds like a Hoarder.  Welcome to the party pal!
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I gave myself the galvanized fever once. Don't weld that shit inside
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Angle is great for making tabs, brackets, cleats, stiffeners, cross braces and then you can start making built-up shapes with it. Useful stuff!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
build a utility trailer and sell it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Ain't you ever built a Bailey bridge soldier?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top