Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/4/2017 2:31:38 AM EDT
Our new house is going to be an industrial / loft style with some rustic stuff thrown in... 

I sold my office furniture and started working on a new desk and a printer table.  A local guy had some walnut!  I bought the steel legs off Etsy and they were cheaper than welding them up myself... cause I'd have to do it twice!

Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks awesome! Keep posting pics!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
That is really cool!

I like the blend of wood and metal, and I especially like the color stain you used.  Really brings the grain out and mutes the yellowish tone of wood well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool.  I've thought of doing something similar if I can find a slab of wood that big.  How does the live edge feel on your arms when you're working?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The live edge works just fine when I'm typing and using a mouse. It's surprisingly comfortable. I had a very hard time joining the two slabs together. I used beadlock tenons to join the slabs, but I had difficulty clamping due to the live edge. I should have used a ratchet strap! When we move to our new place (probably a year from now) I may try to redo it! 

The stain is Sam Maloof oil that I bought from Rockler.  It just brings out the walnut grain really well. 4 coats, then 1 or 2 coats with the oil/wax combo.

I just got a line on 800bf of walnut all live edge stuff, but skinny... for $1500.  Around here that's a pretty good deal.  The two big pieces for my desk were $400 - a bargain. But the guy got wise real quick and now his stuff is more $$.

My next project is to get a Hon filing cabinet and  partially encase it in walnut. It's a cheap way to make a cool matching filing cabinet that slides real smooth! Then, maybe a big slab dining room table, and then of course gun racks and cabinets for the new vault in the new house
!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a shot of my "shop" going in...  We're building the shop first, in order to have good power and a place to build out and store stuff for the house. 

Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, thread just turned into a "You Suck!" thread.     Can I live in your workshop after your house is built??
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice shop. I hope too build one 1/2 that size in a few years.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I love these kinds of threads. Congrats on the build.

Try Waterlox original for walnut. It's beautiful and easy to apply. Primarily tung oil.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love these kinds of threads. Congrats on the build.

Try Waterlox original for walnut. It's beautiful and easy to apply. Primarily tung oil.
View Quote
Nice OP. We are kinda in the same spot. House build just starting and we always wanted to grab a few trees to make furniture for the house, as we cleared for the house. Turns out there is a nice oak growing where the kitchen table is, and a nice chestnut growing towards the fireplace area. We already have wood for a table and mantle!

I'll follow along to see how you progress.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
OP has more bread than Franz!
Holy shnikes that is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I just picked up the coolest workbenches off craigslist today. I'll have to post pics tomorrow.  They're army surplus automotive workbenches... Butcherblock tops and tons of drawers...  I suspect the seller is an Arfcomer - he had tons of surplus stuff from ft. lewis. 

Here's a shot of the vault ceiling getting ready to be poured... well the framing at least. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice job that looks really nice 
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked up a couple of Army surplus automotive workshop tables from a local guy that seems to specialize in govt. liquidation stuff from Ft. Lewis.

I have the top taken off and am in process of re-gluing the maple butcher block - then planing, sanding and finishing.  These will go into my gun room and either be actual workbenches or bases for some display racks... The drawers are all metal - very little rust - and both units were NEW 1984 stock. They're both 6' long.  Should make a good place to store mags, parts etc.. all the crap you accumulate with BRD. 
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I took the maple tops off the workbenches and separated all the pieces, cleaned with bleach, re-glued and am working on planing them flat. 

I also decided to not paint the metal benches/drawers, and just treat the small rust spots with Ospho... and leave it as is. 

Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Progress today... framers were working on the house, and the shop is getting ready for slab. 
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]
12' doors on the shop?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#19]
14' x 10' - shoulda made them 14x12. I hate squeezing stuff through shop doors. 
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice work on the benches.  

is walnut hard to find out there?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Walnut in the PNW is somewhat hard to find.  It's usually very expensive if its good stuff.  High retail prices

The cheapest I've found is $6 B/F on craigs list. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Framing has started on the house.  The shop floor is getting ready to be poured... that means the vault roof will be poured too.... if it ever stops raining here. 

I've got a couple other projects started... A chandelier for one of the bathrooms... I just can't see paying $600 for something I can make for $200.  I'll post pics soon. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I have kicked out multiple end tables to fit rooms.

A couple 15 inch wide x 30 inch deep in the TV room.

A 12 inch by 34 inch on the library lets the love seat and a bookcase fit on the wall space.

Watch out for light switches!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I got sidetracked on the work bench tops because I hate sanding... I started re-vamping my dust collection after seeing the other thread here with the cool cabinet set up....so while I wait for parts, I'm building that chandelier for a "powder bath". Wife picked out one of those industrial lights that looks simple, yet costs a fortune.  Here's my attempt at making it..

got a 1x12 common plank board and some .025 diamond plate from home depot.

Bent the diamond plate with some clamps and a flat faced hammer.

Layed out the holes, punched, drilled, etc... got some cool paint. 

I tested all the hard ware and strain relief stuff, mounted an electrical box for all the wires to run to...and some eye bolts for the chains that help support and balance the light.

Painted both sides... covered in oil rubbed bronze and dusted in the copper color. 

I picked up the lighting wire and lights from vintage lighting supply.  The chandelier will have 10 individual bulbs hanging down at various lengths... all vintage trendy stuff. 
Supposed to end up looking like this...

While I was stinking up the garage, I went ahead and painted the $239 NOS padded radio console part for my 68' Cal Special Mustang. My old one was cut, and finding a clean NOS one was very lucky!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#25]
House framing update... coming along. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:05:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Lighting projects are almost done.

Testing out various bulbs and heights....
I'm also making some pendants for either my office or vault. Not sure yet....

These are supposed to be Bomb tips... but they look more like stainers..
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:12:14 AM EDT
[#28]
The first of a dozen steel beams being set.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm back on the military surplus workbench tops...  I hate sanding and delayed as much as possible. I started tinkering with my dust collector stuff and am waiting for some additional parts... But I copied another poster and put a down draft port into my workbench. Forgot a picture though, maybe tomorrow. 

I got the next couple of projects lined up too -  Trolley track for some barn doors (interior trendy stuff my wife wants in the new house) And I picked up some Unistrut - gotta clean it up and then I'll make some stuff for the new shop - (lumber racks, etc..)

I'm gearing up to turn my focus on a bunch of metal work my wife wants for the new house. It's all Industrial / loft stuff - so I'm going to attempt to make a bunch of unique interior doors with sheet metal "art" affixed on them. (patterns, bolts, rivets, etc.)
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Too damn cool man.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#31]
A quick update on house progress:
Front view:

Inside exposed steel beams:

Inside the shop:

I didn't make any progress on other stuff this week because I was here, killing rats!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#32]
That shop photo gives me a woody!  Holy crap, I would be in Heaven.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That shop photo gives me a woody!  Holy crap, I would be in Heaven.
View Quote
Yup.  OP, what do you work on, Class-A's?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I just thought it would be a good idea to have all the bays with matching doors. Doors are going to be glass fronts, opaque up to the chi chi line. 

I like 14' doors because a while back I bought an old fire station with huge doors. Turned out they were only 12' high. The drive slope and the AC unit on my trailer meant I couldn't park it inside.  I've built 2 shops since then and they both have 14' doors, even though I sold the toy hauler.  I still have a boat with a tower and a pontoon...plus I like the flexibility for future stuff. 

The shop was planned to park in the first 25-30ft, Use the next 10 ft for a batting/pitching cage, and the rest for workshop stuff. 

I've been messing around with the unistrut stuff to make some gun storage platforms for the vault.  Here's the layout I'm working from. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#35]
quick framing update and a shot of my project car that I stalled out on and finally sent to a Pro.  It's almost done. 

I've managed to turn a bargain unistrut purchase into a set of expensive gun bench/gun racks. I'll post some pics up soon. Still a work in progress but I've bolted together a design that will work.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Updates to projects:
New house has a vault - I'm using the unistrut to build a bench frame / gun rests for the vault.  Got a new toy: Makita metal saw.  Cuts strut like butter. 

I made a quick prototype to test out the design.  Top of bench will be angled (plywood/stained lumber) and the top strut will have a piece of trex deck mounted to it as a barrel support. I've used a similar design before and it works great. 

Then I cut enough material to make 4 benches. Scuff padded. Wiped with lacquer thinner. Panted with a Kilz brand hammed paint. 

Now I'm cleaning up the remaining strut and painting it the same black hammered finish.  Also just picked up an 11' piece of bull nosed steel countertop for the new shop. Gotta bolt together some bases for it!

I know the house isn't DYI - but some of the projects coming up for it will be.  I'm going to do the Oak slab stair treads, some barn doors, and some metal design work for the exterior doors.  Heres a shot from tonight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Here's a pic of the shop as of today - And a shot of inside with the "office / gym" area. 

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Op is a cool guy, your projects look fun man!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Im building a house at the moment and like you i am building a walk in vault.

Question, who are you having build your vault door? Im trying to find a local vendor for shipping cost purposes.

By the way, house looks great!

I have a little shop envy going on. Mine is minuscule compared to yours "30x42"

Im almost as far along as your place. Trusses come in next Tues.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm using a fort knox door.

I've had one for several years with zero issues. It stays with my current house... so I'm buying another!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
quick framing update and a shot of my project car that I stalled out on and finally sent to a Pro.  It's almost done. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/104042/IMG-3471-208013.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/104042/IMG-3452-208015.jpg

I've managed to turn a bargain unistrut purchase into a set of expensive gun bench/gun racks. I'll post some pics up soon. Still a work in progress but I've bolted together a design that will work.
View Quote
Looks like they have some overspray to clean off those tires.

I can't keep my white letters from turning brown.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been lacking in keeping this updated... well here's some new pics of the house project and side projects..

The great room - fireplace is sitting on the ground... should be elevated 18" or so...  the wall will be hot rolled steel with an I beam mantel. 

Propane tanks got set this week.  two 1,000 gallon tanks.  Anodes are buried and drain lines all work. 

200 amp surge suppressor for the shop... got two more for the house.  These come from a friend that makes them for cell sites. Best price ever - 1k rounds of 223. 

A shot from the front of the shop. 

Ive been working on the vault gun racks... I got pictures but they kinda suck. Unistrut frames and birch bench tops... had to try out the new track saw on the rip cut.. so I thought I'd use it on the cross cut too... cuts like butter. Stocks will sit on rubber mats on the bench top and barrels rest against a piece of birch bolted to the unistrut. 
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Damn. Looks like you are going to have one bitching set up... Nice
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Great updates, OP. And good job at life
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Time for some minor house updates... Most of the stuff going on is no exciting.... dirt, plumbing, electrical, etc... Some fun stuff is coming up though...

This is the stairs that were finally put in place... kindof a dark pic... but they're all steel... phospated then clear coated. We're going to use 2.5-3" live edge oak treads. I'll be doing the cutting, fitting and Fuming (staining) and the finish carpenter will help. 

We've figured out our cabinet stain and our flooring stain process.  Cabinets are going to be treated with a solution of Vinegar and steel wool...which blacken the wood. Then I'll hit it with Monocoat silver grey oil, then buff with a red scuff pad... it makes a grey grain, blackish wood color on Alder and Oak. 

Floors are going to be treated with Rubio Monocoat Fume.. which greys white oak (quarter sawn) and then we'll use 5% white monocoat oil.  Makes a cool wood weathered grey look. I had to experiment with all of this stuff myself, because the floor and cabinet guys just couldn't figure anything out.  Pinterest has ruined expectations for these guys... and raised the bar! 

Here's a shot of the status of the house and shop: 

Siding started going on house today - exterior will be a mix of hardi panel, lap and brick.  Shop roofing is going on this week, and floor is being re-stained... Oh and the Vault is getting HVAC access holes drilled.  I sealed it last week with RadonSeal. 

As soon as the shop doors get installed, insulation, and interior sheeted - All supposed to be in the next 2 weeks... I'll be able to move my wood working tools and eq in and go to work on stair treads, a couple of barn doors, and some metal fab. 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:04:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Looks great man. It sounds like you are pretty hands on and I commend you for the commitment, it's not as easy as it looks.

Hope you've been taking advantage of this dry weather.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:33:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Fantastic thread.

Mind if I ask what part of the state you're in? Where do you source your materials?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#48]
SW WA -  Camas area, but north of that...

What materials are you interested in???
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#49]
What is the material used in the guard rails (stair)? Cables (wire rope)? Also- Why did you not cast the vault door frame into the walls? It seems it would be more secure with nelson studs anchoring the frame to the walls, rather than epoxied studs (or other means) of attaching it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Just make sure you leave that metal saw inside the vault
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top