Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2017 1:48:23 PM EDT
I bought a Mig Welder not long ago and decided to experiment with some scrap pieces of steel yesterday.  I'm using an Eastwood 135, with a 75% argon 25% co2 shielding gas.  Wire diameter is .025.  Scrap metal is 16ga steel.  As I was welding, I noticed that the area around where I welded turned blue.  Is this normal, or is it an indication that i was doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat affected zone. You're good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Normal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Great!  Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought Eastwood's 175A MIG welder a few years back.  No problems with it so far but I haven't done a lot of projects with it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought a Mig Welder not long ago and decided to experiment with some scrap pieces of steel yesterday.  I'm using an Eastwood 135, with a 75% argon 25% co2 shielding gas.  Wire diameter is .025.  Scrap metal is 16ga steel.  As I was welding, I noticed that the area around where I welded turned blue.  Is this normal, or is it an indication that i was doing something wrong?
View Quote

Where did you get your gas and how much did it cost?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the gas at Tractor Supply.  It wasn't cheap.  It was between $120 and $140.  I don't remember...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the gas price isn't volume, it is labor.  A larger tank may cost the same, or possibly less at a welding supply store that specializes in gas. That is why you see a UUuuuge tank with a little welder.  

A supply store will often upsize your tank at little to no cost, if needed.

A wire brush to the weld will clean it up and often remove any discoloration of the metal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:06:43 AM EDT
[#8]
OP one bit of advice.  ALWAYS close your valve on the tank.  I didn't one time and the entire tank leaked out on me. 

Only other tip I got for you is to keep practicing until you can determine if your settings are correct by by sound, how it looks as you're going, and how big the HAZ is.  I spent a lot of hours just practicing till I got the feel for it.  The settings under the door are a good starting point but depending on what you're welding, and how you're welding it, they may or may not be all that correct.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP one bit of advice.  ALWAYS close your valve on the tank.  I didn't one time and the entire tank leaked out on me. 

View Quote

better advice, ALWAYS perform a drop test. Working in a well ventilated area a leak will cost you money, welding in a bowl or confined space and that can kill you...

Turn your tank on and purge your line, cut the tank off and watch the gauge for 2 minutes, if the needle moved you have a leak someplace. This is critical with oxy-fuel gear as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top