Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 8:19:23 PM EDT
I'm busy fixing burst lines from freeze damage in a foreclosure home I bought. I think when I'm done I can be reasonably certain that I fixed all the breaks, but then I thought it might be a good idea to install an in-line water flow meter just after the water softener/filter/etc. I won't be moving in to the house for at least a couple months, and with no one there using it I could easily see if there might be a slow leak that I maybe didn't find.

Has anyone done this in their home? If so, what brand/model did you use?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Just use a blue white.

It not in line, but they don't break easily like the in-line flowmeters do
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks... do you have a link to the model you're talking about?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a gate valve.  I shut off the water any time I am out of the house more than 2 days. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're using city water do you have easy access to their meter?  If you have a well you can cut off the main water valve and well circuit then check the pressure gauge between site visits

To answer your question, not in your situation.  There is some friction loss but it may not be a problem for you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a well, no public water.

I've heard of using the pressure gauge on the water tank. So, I just build it up to full pressure and shut off the power to the well, noting the reading on the dial?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a well, no public water.

I've heard of using the pressure gauge on the water tank. So, I just build it up to full pressure and shut off the power to the well, noting the reading on the dial?
View Quote

You have to have a properly functioning main valve between the pressure tank and the house plumbing.  Turn the valve off for a week and then open it when you return.  If the PSI drops on the pressure gauge or you hear the water move through the valve when you open it look for a leak.

I should have said earlier, turn of the power source for the water heater.  

The best method is to do what ZW17 mentioned in his post.  I use air and a gauge similar to this and pump it up to a 100 PSI.  LINK  The gauge may drop 2 or 3PSI  because of temperature change but anything larger than that is probably a slow leak.

Do you have forced air heat or hot water system?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have forced air heat.

I probably have at least another week or so of repairing lines, before I can fully test it. We're going to do a complete 2nd story bathroom remodel, which is good because there's some broken pipes up there as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top