Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 4:30:53 PM EDT
So I'm replacing a drop ceiling that was installed in my downstairs area and installing the ceiling drywall. As such I'm working on lighting, which means doing some electrical work. I'm likely doing a permit on this, which I'll need to pull soon, but that means inspection and doing things right (which I'd do anyway).

Previous owner did the addition, looks like they put the doorbell transformer in the space between the joists at the top of the wall. Accessible with a drop ceiling, not so much when I put drywall up.

I'm trying to figure out where I should move it. The power/romex coming in looks like it may be coming from a light switch box further down the same wall, but I don't have a ton of length to work with unless I pull new cable (not the end of the world, it's only about 7ft up the wall).

Options I can think of:
A) Install access panel/faux vent in ceiling, leave jbox as is.
Pros: Don't have to touch electrical there, easy
Cons: Cosmetic

B) Move down wall it's on, cover with some sort of box
Pros: Somewhat less ugly than an access
Cons: Cut new hole in drywall, move box, doesn't look like the low voltage has much slack so I may need to do wiring work with that.

C) Find a way to get power in to coat closet (4 ft to right), install with transformer exposed in there
Pros: Nothing visual
Cons: Most work, running new romex and low voltage.

D) Get rid of the dinosaur transformer setup, get some new fangled wireless battery powered abomination that probably isn't even loud enough to wake the cats
Pros: Nothing visual
Cons: Buy stuff, have to remove old stuff

Recommendations or things I'm missing?

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Ditch the bell and get one of these?

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, I may need to add a big solid wood door first or that might look out of place... But that's neat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I would just do an access panel and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Move it into that closet.  Pretty common and accessible place they put them in now.     You can get away with splicing the doorbell wire above drywall, but the romex needs to be done to code.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Leaning toward one of these https://www.amazon.com/Wallo-APR-0501-Round-Access-Panel/dp/B007E5C5QG so far.

Is there any size requirements to being "accessible"? I don't recall any NEC things saying so... I can fit my hand in 4.75 inches, so that seems reasonable to me
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
"C"
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Transformers are obsolete...

Replace with a battery...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leaning toward one of these https://www.amazon.com/Wallo-APR-0501-Round-Access-Panel/dp/B007E5C5QG so far.

Is there any size requirements to being "accessible"? I don't recall any NEC things saying so... I can fit my hand in 4.75 inches, so that seems reasonable to me
View Quote

Worse comes to bad...

There's always those 99 centavos things called sheet rock sawz...

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Transformers are obsolete...

Replace with a battery...
View Quote

this^^^^^ or relocate transformer to somewhere accessible. Doesn't really matter what circuit you put it on.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Moving to the closet is what I would do. Make sure the power supply is from the light switch, and run a new line from there to the closet(With power off, test continuity). You may be able to fish the new line down the wall without ripping out drywall.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Moving to the closet is what I would do. Make sure the power supply is from the light switch, and run a new line from there to the closet(With power off, test continuity). You may be able to fish the new line down the wall without ripping out drywall.
View Quote

Word of advice here, If you relocate the transformer, you can pull power from almost any 120 volt general purpose circuit source, those transformers use very little power, not enough to affect the circuit load significantly.

However, if tying power into a light switch circuit, check closely to see where the unswitched power is. The unswitched power may come directly to the light fixture, with a 2 conductor (with Ground) running to/from the light to light switch on the hot leg only.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Indeed. But since the low voltage is already there where the jbox currently is and I have to run those to wherever I move it, I might as well just run the romex too, just have to re-run the section on that wall with a new wire... Although the light switch for the coat closet probably can probably be tapped too (yes obviously running it off of the unswitched power).
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They don't look horrible when painted.  I would opt for a larger square one for more knuckle room.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Replace the old transformer with a new US made one...  ~$10.

Add the smallest access plate.

Chances are the house will be torn down before a replacement is ever needed...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top