Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 3:18:51 AM EDT
So my daughter's Girl Scout troop is selling cookies, and they are collecting boxes for local servicemen with a goal of 80 boxes. They want a thermometer style sign to show their progress. Something easy to set up, free standing, about 3' tall, yet still small enough to fit in a car trunk.

My original thought was to use a 2x4 for the vertical, cut a square notch on both ends, with a dowel spanning the notch. On one face will be a plexiglass plate painted to show the shape of the thermometer with graduations. For the indication, I planned on making a loop out of wide ribbon, half red, half white, and tension it across the dowels so they can slide it up/down as necessary.

Then I got the idea of incorporating a crank, so that means gears and springs and a belt etc...unless one of you guys have a better idea. I'm pretty handy, and have more tools than the average bear. Anybody got anything?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top