Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2017 11:35:19 PM EDT
So its been my month of water issues.

2 weeks ago my water heater took a shit. Replaced that. No i got a leak from my well pressure tank.
It appears that my bladder has a hole or the tank is water logged. My pump is constantly cycling.

Question is should i replace my 20g Amtrol with another 20g or a 32?

Or should i go with a CSV and a small 4 or 5 gallon pressure tank?

I have a submersible pump with about 5gpm output.

2 showers, 4 sinks, 2 toilets, 2 outdoor spickets, washing machine dishwasher, and 5 kids and a wife.

Not all are used at one time haha

Is this CSV thing worth it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Just found a leak on the backside of my pressure tank. Leaking under the tank. Thought it was the bottom of the tank but after moving around the tank with my hand i found a union leaking.

So i shut off water and power and drain the tank.
Got about 32psi from the top of the tank.

So it should be good, right?

Gonna pull the union, retape the threads and tighten the shit out of it.

Then i am going to either adjust the pressure switch to make sure i am 40/60 or replace it if it wont adjust. Seems like its running 50/70 but jumps a bit quick to 50 then starts pulling water again. About every 30sec its pulling more water.

My pump has to he hurting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The pressure tank bladder should measure 2 to 3 PSI less than the pressure switch cut in pressure when the system is drained.

So you didn't have any bladder problems or did you replace it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont think its my bladder. I am measuring high , like 32psi on the tank when empty.

If there was a hole i would think that my pressure would be 0.

The leak is definitley from the pipe.

The second issue is the pump switch. I dont think its working right since it runs all the time when pulling water. Even if i just turn on the sink in the bathroom. I would think i should get a few gallons out before the pump kicked on. Especially with a 20g pressure tank.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You may have a pinhole leak in the bladder that's holding water and little bit of air at the top.

I would open the Schrader valve on top of the tank and then see if you get water.

Side question-  is the little riser pipe that goes into the bottom of the pressure switch galvanized or brass?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I just re-read one of your post.

If no one in the house is using water does the pump cycle?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just re-read one of your post.

If no one in the house is using water does the pump cycle?
View Quote

Yes. It usually takes hours of non use before it kicks on.

The union is a long brass one. Might not even be a union. It might be the one way valve. I am going to the depot and pick up so parts. Then take it apart tonight. Lots of kids sleeping over other kids houses, so tonight may be the best time to shut it all down. Replace what is needed then adjust the pump switch for the right cut in out times.

And make sure the pressure tank is pressurized correctly.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't stress enough, everything you mentioned indicates a water logged bladder.  If it's a pinhole leak an air gauge test at the top of the pressure tank can still read pressure even if the system is off and drained.  

There may also be secondary issues like a failing switch or gauge that isn't reading/ functioning properly.  

Good luck tonight.  Please update.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can't stress enough, everything you mentioned indicates a water logged bladder.  If it's a pinhole leak an air gauge test at the top of the pressure tank can still read pressure even if the system is off and drained.  

There may also be secondary issues like a failing switch or gauge that isn't reading/ functioning properly.  

Good luck tonight.  Please update.
View Quote

I don't have a well but the exact same symptoms showed with my reverse osmosis(drinking water) tank. It would still function for a glass of water but that was about all the draw-down I could get (2.5 gal or so draw-down rated tank if memory serves). Replaced the tank with a new one of the same size and everything works again.

As mentioned above test your pressure-port for your bladder, that's what finally smacked me with reality. If you crack it open and get water you'll know for sure.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Another thing to check is to pull the pressure switch, and the small nipple that connects it to the main line.  I had one get filled with sediment and rust and would n't allow the pressure switch to read properly.  If any blockages are there, clear them with wire, or brushes.

Do you have a check valve in line before your pressure tank?  If the valve isn't sealing completely that could account for the pump kicking on every few hours even if nobody is using water.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
It went from bad to worse.

Found that the pressure gauge is fucked. Tap on it and it jumps around. I emptied the tank and the water. Shut off the pump from the breaker. Ran the system empty. Then emptied the pressure tank. Gauge still read 50psi.

Ok.

I get a new gauge, new flow valve. Get the valve installed. Unscrew the gauge and reducer. The reducer snapped off in the T.

Just fought with this for an hour trying to get the reducer out. No luck.

Going to buy a new T tomorrow and install all the new components. Then check the bladder again.

This fucking sucks.

Just replaced my water heater that decided to shit the bed a week after the 10yr warranty was up.

Now this. I am glad i am off this week. Get my house straightened out before i travel again for work.

Thanks for the help guys. I will update tomorrow after i get water back. Haha
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh. And melchiz. i did notice the check valve was all crudded up with sediment. Felt like it was stuck at first. Tapped it a bit and it popped. Then It seemed rough when i popped it in and out by hand.

So that could be part of it.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Update.

Replaced the T, pressure switch, check valve, bib, and overpressure switch.

Filled system. Lose pressure rapidly as soon as a faucet is opened.

Shut off pump, drained system, opened bib and drained 20g from pressure tank.

Took a reading on the tank...0psi

Pumped up tank with bib open, pressure gauge on T is still 0. Tank is about 25psi.

No water or anything came out of bib while pumping tank.

Broke the fucking hand pump.

Back to depot to get a new compressor. Fuck this motherfucking shit.

I dont think my bladder is pooched. At least not yet. Maybe tonight it will be and i will be 2 days without water. Fuck my life.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Check the foot valve if its a deep well pump (not submersible).  A leaking foot valve can play
hell in diagnosing your problem.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Update.

Replaced the T, pressure switch, check valve, bib, and overpressure switch.

Filled system. Lose pressure rapidly as soon as a faucet is opened.

Shut off pump, drained system, opened bib and drained 20g from pressure tank.

Took a reading on the tank...0psi

Pumped up tank with bib open, pressure gauge on T is still 0. Tank is about 25psi.

No water or anything came out of bib while pumping tank.

Broke the fucking hand pump.

Back to depot to get a new compressor. Fuck this motherfucking shit.

I dont think my bladder is pooched. At least not yet. Maybe tonight it will be and i will be 2 days without water. Fuck my life.
View Quote

I know this isn't GD but you're being hard headed...  Replace the pressure tank so you can shower tonight.

Trust me on this one, I've been doing it for a living since Jesus was a baby.  

If you compare the weight of the old tank vs the new tank you'll notice the water weight gain.  You lost the buffer that the air provides to the system.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I am ordering and pressure tank. I got this one working ok. But you are right it seems fucky.

I am being cheap not hard headed..lolol
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Had some similar problems with my well system last year.
The elbow at the top of the well was leaking, replaced it. Still didn't stop the pump from randomly kicking on and running.
I ended up changing the pressure tank, points, and union as they were over 15 years old and needed it anyways. Still didn't fix it.
So I pulled the pump from the well, found out the check valve was trashed, installed a new one, problem fixed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Just took a quick shower pressure was fine. Left a dry paper towel under the pressure tank.

Its wet now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am ordering and pressure tank. I got this one working ok. But you are right it seems fucky.

I am being cheap not hard headed..lolol
View Quote

I get it, having been there in the early days of learning about plumbing

Did you order the same size tank?  If you didn't and went larger you may need a longer tank tee..

Your story about hitting the pressure gauge on the tank tee and seeing it move is very common.

The new tank that you get is going to have a label that mentions to set the bladder PSI to 2LBS less than the cut-in pressure.  That's accurate but the gauges aren't 100% accurate, That's why I mentioned earlier to be 2 to 3 PSI less than the cut-in pressure.

If after you get the system operating properly and you still notice the pump cycles every few hours  ( another problem ) you have a leak in the system through a check valve, foot valve at the pump or a line leak.  If you turn off the main valve on the house side of the system for a few hours and notice a pressure drop that's an indication that should also check that side of the system.

Good luck, I know it's a PIA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#19]
New tank is in. Same 20gallon as before.

I also installed a sediment filter. I had enough sand for a kids sandbox in the old T and in the fitting going into the old tank.

Pump hasnt kicked on in about an hour. So hopefully its good.

I did add some air to the new tank. I had 2 gauges read 33 and 34. So i brought it to 37psi.

What a long day.

Thanks for the assistance. Should have just went all new this morning and been done with it, like you said.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad you have it working, that's all that matters
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top