Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2017 3:06:54 PM EDT
I need some advice on a window replacement. I am having a window company (not chosen yet) replace our nasty old aluminum frame windows. In the kitchen, we have a large slider window. The top ledge of our granite counter top is built up so that it is a little higher than the bottom of the window, it probably is glued up to the same sill board that the window is resting on.

The installers we have had come out to measure (3 so far) all propose to build up the sill, leaving the granite in place, and then installing the window so that it overlaps the granite on top 1/4"-1/2".

This worries me because it means that if down the road we want to redo our counter tops or cabinets, we will have to figure out how to get the granite top ledge out of there without wrecking the window.

Would the right way to do this be to have a granite guy come out and remove the top ledge, have the window installed, and then trim the ledge to fit back in its old place? Or is this too risky because it has a good chance of being broken during removal?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
We had an issue when we replaced a stove. We had the granite guy come out and handle it. Better now than to deal with other issues later.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I presume it would cost significantly more to replace the counter top than the window, at least in you have to replace the entire counter top.   I would just the replace the  window and wouldn't worry about it unless you are thinking about new kitchen remodel in the next 5 years or so.  Looks to me like the window is cheapest thing to replace even if you need to replace it again in 4 or 5 years.   Someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The granite ledge us above the backsplash... It is sort of like a granite windowsill, except the existing window is not on top of, but is next to the granite.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The granite sill is likely fixed in place with silicone. You can just pull it off. If the installer was a Nazi, he may have used epoxy.

I would pull it, have the window replaced, then silicone the sill back on. It may not even need to be trimmed. If it does, I would scribe a line on it, carry it in to a granite shop and have them rip it down. You want to scribe along the new window in case it's not square.

I would not buy a shorter window and install on top of the granite. UNLESS, the bottom of the window frame is thinner than your granite. It looks like 3cm granite, just double check the height of the window frame at the sill before you decide.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The exterior work is more of a PITA than the interior.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it were mine, I would just remove the granite sill, replace the window, and go back with wood casing and sill.
View Quote

This or have the sill cut at a shop after window install.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top