Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 5:59:34 PM EDT
Now that we are coming or about to come out of winter, I'm performing evaluation/maintenance on the estate.
Curious about hat things I should be checking beyond the water meter and the gutters, as well as other things to be checking on year round.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Electronic spark boilers furnace or water heaters need yearly cleaning along with the flame detectors.

Chimneys if you burn wood.

Condensent traps for condensing apliances

Flush your tank water heater
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Dryer vent
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure the landscape pitches away from the foundation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Every 6 months, turn every water shutoff valve in the house to keep them moving free.

Clean your AC condenser coils.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Work the high pressure relief valve on your water heater tank.

Every couple of years, flush it out to get sediment out of it.

Check your electrical panel for mouse or ant nests.

Oil locks.

Change smoke detector batteries, even if they aren't beeping.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Drain the water heater annually.
Check the sacrificial anode.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Electronic spark boilers furnace or water heaters need yearly cleaning along with the flame detectors.

View Quote

Do I just need to clean the cathode and anode, or is there more?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. Usually the spark is 2 prongs flame detectors are 1.  I use grey scotchbrite.

Check the porcelain insulator on them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Not cleaning out the gutters for the first two years that I owned my current house was my biggest mistake.  Water damage along walls, probably mold, and carpenter ants started pigging out on the soft wood.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just replaced my electric heat elements due to the lower element shorting out.  My water is so damn hard, I should be flushing every 3 months, but I forget
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just replaced my electric heat elements due to the lower element shorting out.  My water is so damn hard, I should be flushing every 3 months, but I forget
View Quote
Set up a recurring reminder event in Google calendar, and have it send you reminder emails a few times. That's what I did to remember to change our HVAC filters.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I always crawl through the attic and look for damp spots, then crawl under the house looking for signs of water or termites.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Assuming you mean the sacrificial anode?  I would flush the water heater, then check the annode, and replace if its no longer there.  Then maybe check it annually, at least until you get an idea of how long it will last.

Of course, if you water heater hasn't been flushed in a while, flushing could create a pinhole leak (the pinhole was already there, but the sedement was preventing it from leaking).

I have no clue when my water heater was flushed.  I'm just going to let it go until I replace it, then start on maintenance.  My water heater was made in '77, so who knows how long it will go. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Check foundation for small cracks annually. It's a sign of improperly routed water and will cause your foundation to fail over time. Catching it early will allow you to divert the water away and prevent major damage to foundation.

If you have electric heaters, clean each register semi-annually. If you have central heat, replace filter every 3 months.

Make sure no bums moved in to your crawlspace.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Disassemble bathroom vent fans and clean them. Clean the dryer vent at least quarterly!
Replace the contactors in HVAC equipment every 6 to 8 years if your in a climate where they cycle frequently.
Gas operated tankless water heaters need to have a flush performed to clean residue out of the heat exchanger.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
  lol my water heater is 33 years old and never been touched. Original heating elements too. Just changed an element in a heater in a commercial property we have had for 26 years. Was at least a few yo at that time. All KINDS of crap were in the tank when I drained it!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#18]
A bit of a different one:

Make sure that the vents for any appliances...dryer, gas water heater, etc...that go out the roof are clear and the guards on the vents are properly installed.

When we moved into our current home, I was up on the roof for something else and noticed the guard on the water heater vent was gone. Looking down in the vent, I couldn't see daylight or feel heat. On a hunch, I pulled the vent and it had 14....yes, 14...birds nest in it! 14 years of nests, stacked right on top of the other! Talk about a fire hazard or CO problem waiting to happen!

Seriously, I counted it a miracle that I discovered it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]
The furnace filters are out of sight and out of mine, about every 3 months is good (buy in bulk they are cheaper, and they are only like 3 bucks each). Then the crawl space should get a once through every couple months, if something is wrong there you wont see it unless you are down there. Attic is the same.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Roof
Sump Pump
Gutters
HVAC -- filter, thermostat battery
Basement -- walkthrough inspection of pipes, wiring, foundation
Sewer Line -- do you have a backflow prevention valve?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Duh!!

Make sure the Weber heats

and

the Kegalator cools.

That is all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Big one for me.  Had my hallway flooded twice as a new homeowner before I figured it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top