Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2017 10:35:41 PM EDT
Our double-wall gas oven has had it.  It's ancient and we are finding hard to replace.  It is 27 inches wide (we could add a little width by counter modification).  They don't make double 27 inch gas anymore I'm told. So, we are looking at a single 24-inch wall unit or converting to electric.  Has anyone done a conversion?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
you can buy all sorts of 24 inch gas wall ovens.

example... http://www.sears.com/search=24%20inch%20gas%20wall%20oven
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes but I will lose width and 27 seems small enough.  But will take a look, thanks.  (The appliance person told me what was produced in gas ovens were crap now.)
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
A lot of 30in   go big  30in
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Ease of conversion depends on ease of routing wires and space available in the breaker panel. These aren't "little wires". A single electric wall oven will require at least 30 amp, but more likely 40 amp breaker. So you're looking at some big wires that need routed from your breaker panel to the location. It can be done, as a matter of fact, it was done in my house prior to me purchasing it, but it's on a crawlspace; the hardest part would have been fishing the wires up the insulated wall (my house has all walls insulated, including interior walls).
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ease of conversion depends on ease of routing wires and space available in the breaker panel. These aren't "little wires". A single electric wall oven will require at least 30 amp, but more likely 40 amp breaker. So you're looking at some big wires that need routed from your breaker panel to the location. It can be done, as a matter of fact, it was done in my house prior to me purchasing it, but it's on a crawlspace; the hardest part would have been fishing the wires up the insulated wall (my house has all walls insulated, including interior walls).
View Quote

You're talking an 8AWG set of wires to run a 40A oven. Now make that two sets most likely for a double oven. Having those wires run will likely cost more than adjusting the oven opening.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're talking an 8AWG set of wires to run a 40A oven. Now make that two sets most likely for a double oven. Having those wires run will likely cost more than adjusting the oven opening.
View Quote

Not to mention the insanity of going from a gas appliance to electric.

Who does this?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Electric ovens are preferred by folks that bake a lot.

Gas stove tops if you cook there a lot for faster control.

There are plenty of 'dual fuel' units out there.

More at the high end.

An electric oven with gas stove top.

How long a run for electric lines and how accessible to install them?

You can use stranded aluminum to lower the cost of the wire.
Make sure you correctly make connections with anti-ox compound.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all.  We will probably just make a 24 or 30 in. gas work.  This is a house I hope not to live in forever so don't need the expense of conversion.  I asked because of what the appliance person told me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm just answering the guys question... he didn't say cost was a factor. I would also contend that to have the opening adjusted professional and proper is going to cost similar to running some 8 awg wires. DIY still similar, one is low-materials, high-labor, one is low-labor, high-materials.

Quoted:

Who does this?

You're living in ignorance if you think a gas oven is superior in any way to an electric oven. There is a reason that dual-fuel ovens are popular among high-end appliances. Electric ovens are superior in every way, including but not limited to temperature consistency, efficiency, temperature range, temperature control, maximum temperature, maintenance, & cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm just answering the guys question... he didn't say cost was a factor. I would also contend that to have the opening adjusted professional and proper is going to cost similar to running some 8 awg wires. DIY still similar, one is low-materials, high-labor, one is low-labor, high-materials.

You're living in ignorance if you think a gas oven is superior in any way to an electric oven. There is a reason that dual-fuel ovens are popular among high-end appliances. Electric ovens are superior in every way, including but not limited to temperature consistency, efficiency, temperature range, temperature control, maximum temperature, maintenance, & cleaning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who does this?

I would love to go electric or even duel duel.  We can't have a duel fuel in the wall from what I have found online.  We would have to rip out cabinets to put a regular type oven/range in, which would allow a duel fuel.  Our oven sits in the wall, broiler on bottom, also in the wall.  Then, if we did that, would have to replace that wall space with cabinets.  Would call in the pros for this and I would have to pay for it, not my husband.  I just don't know if this is worth all,of the trouble and expense for a house I don't want to live in forever.  I don't know, maybe it would be a worthwhile expense.  That's why I came here to ask because it's all on me to decide and pay.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would love to go electric or even duel duel.  We can't have a duel fuel in the wall from what I have found online.  We would have to rip out cabinets to put a regular type oven/range in, which would allow a duel fuel.  Our oven sits in the wall, broiler on bottom, also in the wall.  Then, if we did that, would have to replace that wall space with cabinets.  Would call in the pros for this and I would have to pay for it, not my husband.  I just don't know if this is worth all,of the trouble and expense for a house I don't want to live in forever.  I don't know, maybe it would be a worthwhile expense.  That's why I came here to ask because it's all on me to decide and pay.
View Quote

You currently have gas wall oven + gas cooktop?

Keep the gas cooktop, convert to electric wall oven and you now have dual-fuel. This is exactly what we will be doing when we renovate our kitchen in a few years. I LOVE my electric convection oven, but I have a love/hate relationship with the electric cooktop. Considering that most dual-fuel ranges are $2k - $10k (more than I would want to spend) I think I'll end up going with 2 separate appliances, an electric wall oven and a gas cooktop.

I really like the thought of having the oven closer to eye-level instead of down on the floor... The house we just bought had a gas wall-oven and gas cook-top originally. The previous owner took them out, removed a cabinet, had electrical run, and put an electric range in. I would be fairly easy for me to convert back to the way it was but we plan to renovate the kitchen in a few years anyways so we'll just endure it for now.

Are you/husband capable of doing electrical work? In many situations it's not that difficult to run the wires; other situations you may as well not try (my old house would have required a 15 ft run up an insulated exterior wall into the attic, 60 feet over to the kitchen wall, then back down the insulated exterior wall to the range).
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You currently have gas wall oven + gas cooktop?

Keep the gas cooktop, convert to electric wall oven and you now have dual-fuel. This is exactly what we will be doing when we renovate our kitchen in a few years. I LOVE my electric convection oven, but I have a love/hate relationship with the electric cooktop. Considering that most dual-fuel ranges are $2k - $10k (more than I would want to spend) I think I'll end up going with 2 separate appliances, an electric wall oven and a gas cooktop.

I really like the thought of having the oven closer to eye-level instead of down on the floor... The house we just bought had a gas wall-oven and gas cook-top originally. The previous owner took them out, removed a cabinet, had electrical run, and put an electric range in. I would be fairly easy for me to convert back to the way it was but we plan to renovate the kitchen in a few years anyways so we'll just endure it for now.

Are you/husband capable of doing electrical work? In many situations it's not that difficult to run the wires; other situations you may as well not try (my old house would have required a 15 ft run up an insulated exterior wall into the attic, 60 feet over to the kitchen wall, then back down the insulated exterior wall to the range).
View Quote

Yes! This exactly is what I want to do.  Definitely keeping the gas range and changing it to stainless.

No, we aren't capable of the work, but know someone who may be.  And if it is over our head, then we hire someone, if feasible.  The wiring would likely need updating, but won't know until we cross that bridge.  My husband insists the gas oven is superior, but with all of the options available with electric, I do not see how.  There are virtually no choices in wall gas ovens (meaning sizes), so they can't be that popular.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Double post, sorry.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes! This exactly is what I want to do.  Definitely keeping the gas range and changing it to stainless.

No, we aren't capable of the work, but know someone who may be.  And if it is over our head, then we hire someone, if feasible.  The wiring would likely need updating, but won't know until we cross that bridge.  My husband insists the gas oven is superior, but with all of the options available with electric, I do not see how.  There are virtually no choices in wall gas ovens (meaning sizes), so they can't be that popular.

Thank you!
View Quote

I wish you good luck in convincing your husband. I will say that there is rarely ever a consistent consensus on cooking equipment among professionals, serious amateurs, and rookie cooks, but the gas oven vs electric oven is one of them. Ask a number of cooks, whether professional, serious amateur, or rookie and you will find that there is a clear consensus that electric ovens offer MUCH more.

My one main breaking point on the gas oven is the gross inefficiency; they need continuous airflow for clean combustion. So flowing into the bottom is room temperature air and flowing out the top in a continuous stream is oven temperature air. This may not be a big problem if you're running a commercial kitchen with a large hood, or if it's winter and you're trying to heat your home. But in the summer when I'm trying to cool my home I have zero interest in turning on a gas furnace while my air-conditioner is running. My other big gripe is heat level; I like to make pizza and bake breads that take extremely high temperatures. Many gas ovens aren't even capable of the temperatures I demand, but most electric ovens now come standard at that temp (550 or 600 degrees). My inlaws have gas and I cannot cook pizza at their house because it doesn't get hot enough, even if you can get it up to the 500 degrees max that it does, it takes 5+ minutes to recover the temp after opening the door to slide a pizza in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll throw a Hail Mary pass...
Check your breaker box for an "oven" breaker, and check your crawl/attic for a box with the correct gauge wire.
I bought a house with a gas unit. Up in the attic there is a box for where the oven is fed. So, if I ever wanted to go back to electric, wire is in place, would just need the electrician to run it down the wall and into a plug.

Just a shot...good luck
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Our double electric range required a 50 amp circuit.  Just installed last fall - it's a 30" unit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok thanks.  Will check breaker box etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#18]
To update, we are going with the electric comversion.  Husband decided the gas was not worth it in the end because we would be reduced to 24 inches.  Now, I am trying to comvince him our new oven should include convection (we just bought a counter top Breville convection, so he doesn't think we need it).

Thanks for the help, and I will be posting in the cooking section to see if the oven I am intetested in is a good choice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an open burner dual fuel in my kitchen.

It is worth every damn penny.

The 'closed burner' gas stoves are painfull.

I take my stove top apart into 3 pieces pleus 4 burner 'bowls' and clean it in the sink.

It is actually dishwasher safe.

Or you can scrub a 'closed burner' top 'in place.'

Capital beats the brown stuff out of Viking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top