Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2017 12:35:40 PM EDT
I need to cheaply and quickly cover a large mirror. Will paint work? Its in a bathroom with little ventilation so prefer to roll/brush it on. Or is there a better solution? Possibly contact paper? What ever it is, it can be permanent.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
applied canvas or wallpaper
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the mirror framed? If so, use the frame and place a decent picture with backing in it with double sided tape. If it's not, use a framed picture with a backer if the mirror sticks out from the wall a bit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have clarified, its actually the sliding shower door.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy new frosted one's, they aren't that expensive.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Buy new frosted one's, they aren't that expensive.
View Quote

That would be the ideal solution, but for a number of reasons, I'm looking for a vey cheap, quick, solution. I think a paint or paper type solution will work, I just don't know if it will stick to a Mirror or if there is a specialty paint or paper
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd use some form of window film on a shower door cover up.

Maybe something like this etched leaf window film.

There are lots of choices available.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at a dark automotive tint. Won't get rid of the mirror but if it's so dark you can't see yourself then it should work well. Take the door to a auto tint shop and tell them what you need done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Just thinking outside the box here... Most mirrors are made of aluminum correct? Aluminum is fairly easily corroded away with certain acids... You might be able to turn your mirror into a plain glass door by putting some acid on the back side and brushing away the remnants...

Just a thought, I've never tried this nor do I know if it would actually work. Just thinking of something outside the box.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Vinyl sticker material? It can be bought it big rolls and will stick to just about anything.

Plastidip?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Paint sticks to metal and glass.  Might need a couple coats.

No matter what you do, though, it's going to look like smashed assholes.  Just spend $75 on a new door.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Cleaned it, taped it off and sprayed it with a primer/paint in tan. Less than $10 all in. Came out pretty nice and the paint stuck nicely. I appreciate all thoughts on replacing or a more aesthetic solution, but this didnt need to look perfect, it just needed to cover the mirror.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Remove it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Rolling Kilz on it should work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just thinking outside the box here... Most mirrors are made of aluminum correct? Aluminum is fairly easily corroded away with certain acids... You might be able to turn your mirror into a plain glass door by putting some acid on the back side and brushing away the remnants...

Just a thought, I've never tried this nor do I know if it would actually work. Just thinking of something outside the box.
View Quote

If most mirrors were aluminum, then yiu wouldn't get 7 years bad luck for breaking one.  They are plate glass with a reflective "sticker" or coating in the back side.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Take the doors and track out, plug the holes with small plastic plugs and run a rod and curtain.

Did that in my bathroom, looks fine.

J-
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If most mirrors were aluminum, then yiu wouldn't get 7 years bad luck for breaking one.  They are plate glass with a reflective "sticker" or coating in the back side.
View Quote

I don't think I was quite clear in my post... What do you think the "reflective" stuff on the back of the glass is? Just to verify, I googled it, it's aluminum and silver. Of course, that's for quality mirrors, cheap ones may be coated with some sort of a mylar sticker etc on the back, which would be aluminum but protected by plastic film.

Edited to remove misleading info...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Aluminum is fairly easily corroded away with certain acids
View Quote

Lye.

The aluminum will be gone very quickly.

Not a lot of silver mirrors anymore.

Aluminum easier and lasts longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top