Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2017 1:51:11 PM EDT
I'm wanting to build a covered patio/deck area for my smoker.  I'm looking at a 10' x 20' space.  I have the tools and ability to easily build a wood deck, but I'm not sure about the weight it would support.  The smoker alone is around 900lbs empty.  Adding in the weight of the cover and counters etc, would a wood deck be sufficient?  If I go with concrete it increases my cost as I'll have to have someone come in and pour it as I'm not going to mix up that much by hand.

Here is a rough sketch of what I'm thinking, obviously this isn't to scale.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You can build a wood deck to support that. You will need larger lumber and possibly closer joist spacing and more footings. I'm not a structural guy so I won't begin to guess what you need, but it can be done.

ETA: 900 lbs. is 6 people, or like 3 - 4 modern-day Americans.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can build a wood deck to support that. You will need larger lumber and possibly closer joist spacing and more footings. I'm not a structural guy so I won't begin to guess what you need, but it can be done.

ETA: 900 lbs. is 6 people, or like 3 - 4 modern-day Americans.
View Quote

I wouldn't be concerned with the total weight distributed such as people.  I'm worried about it sitting in the same place constantly.  Extra footings and closer joists on that side of the structure may be the way to go.  Hopefully some others will chime in.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Does your smoker ever drop embers out of the fire box vent(s)? A neighbor lost half their house when I was younger due to their charcoal grill catching their wood deck on fire. After witnessing the aftermath I have always been paranoid about grills and smokers on wood structures.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does your smoker ever drop embers out of the fire box vent(s)? A neighbor lost half their house when I was younger due to their charcoal grill catching their wood deck on fire. After witnessing the aftermath I have always been paranoid about grills and smokers on wood structures.
View Quote

Yeah, that is a risk with any smoker or grill and is a concern.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this going to be at ground level, or is it raised?

If it's at ground level, I would put the smoker on some pavers beside the deck. (down-wind side)
Having a smoker under a covered deck could lead to some fire hazards, or at least alot of smoke and discoloration of anything above it.

If it's raised, I would look into putting a fireproof surface directly under it.  And would probably still leave that section uncovered.

What kind of cover are you putting on the deck?  Solid, or just a pergola/lattice type of cover?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you thought about a paver patio?  If mine wasn't covered in 14" of snow I'd show you some pics.   I'll check my phone for some.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Pavers are an option but from my research, putting down pavers seems like a ton of work and cost wise, a concrete slab may be easier and cheaper.

I was leaning toward using a corrugated metal for the cover.  I'm wanting something where it can be used rain or shine.

Here is an example of what gave me the idea.  I'm just wanting a larger space with counters built in.

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's a complete DIY pavers aren't fun IMO.  I hired someone to do all my patio and walkway work.  I do like that smoker set up in that picture you posted.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
This has a lot of very good, useful information.  There are a couple of places where the nomenclature is inconsistent or confusing, but overall, it'll help you in most every area of the structure.  The dead weight and live weight will depend upon your intent, weather, and possibly local regulations.  Don't shy away from designing for higher loads than the minimum you expect, it will help when more people congregate, wood has weakened over 20 years, etc..

I've been contemplating something similar, and I'm leaning toward a side-structure near my deck, but made completely out of fireproof materials, to house the grill and smoker.  If you're talking about something well separated from the house and other structures, you may not need to go that far, but if it's in any significant range... I'd hate to lose a house because of a grilling accident.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, that has some good info.

I'm considering two locations.  One is 40 feet from the house or so, the second would be close to the house off the existing patio.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File
jist came here to show mine off. I would not put a smoker on wood. Mine used to be on the old deck and there were several burn marks. Could have been bad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm leaning toward doing it with concrete now.  I just really liked the idea of a wood deck since I could have done the work myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top