Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2017 10:08:24 PM EDT
Finishing off a section of the basement and want to add a utility sink.

Plan on using a direct attached (ventless) pump on the sink, pretty much as shown here: 

How to Install a Basement Laundry | Ask This Old House

The drain line is as shown in the pic, sloping left to right.

Is the wye fitting I have the proper one, and must it be oriented with reducer vertical as shown?

The partition wall the sink will be located at is perpendicular to the line and maybe a foot off screen to the right of the pic.

Trying to work out the optimal way to route the line.

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I would use a long sweep 90 if entering vertically. If you want to enter from the side then I would use the wye  you have pictured rolled down. The wye needs a little elevation to it so not quite 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I would keep the wyee vertical and put a street 45 in the wyee so the 45 is facing horizontal, not vertical.  It looks tight but I think the 1.5 inch line will clear the copper supply lines and avoid the joists/cords.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Time to learn what the code for your area is and requires.

There are a couple variation and lots of local stuff.

At least if you are not going to pull permits and inspection do it according to local code.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would keep the wyee vertical and put a street 45 in the wyee so the 45 is facing horizontal, not vertical.  It looks tight but I think the 1.5 inch line will clear the copper supply lines and avoid the joists/cords.
View Quote

This

As shown in the video, it would not pass an inspection here or in MN, because of the 1 inch drain size. (the minimum drain size for a laundry/utility sink is 1 /2)
Also, in there installation, I would bet they'd have some gurgling drain issues every time the pump discharges
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
the minimum drain size for a laundry/utility sink is 1 /2)
View Quote

1-1/2"??

2" in many codes.

Washing machines empty FAST.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:11:00 AM EDT
[#7]
1 1/2 for a laundry tub/utility sink, with or without discharge from a washer.

minimum size for a automatic clothes washer is 2" in most codes

Of course even states who use either the UPC or IPC codes, many times will amend it, so your state may vary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top