Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2017 12:22:45 AM EDT
Tomorrow I'm going to weld for the first time. With the help of a buddy who is an experienced welder, I'm undertaking welding a frame for my smokers (a pair of 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain's). Using 1" angle for the top to take a drop-in, and 1" square tubing for the legs, cross supports, and base frame.

Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck. Sounds like fun. I would love to try welding some time. As well as make a kick ass smoker doing it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck. Sounds like fun. I would love to try welding some time. As well as make a kick ass smoker doing it.
View Quote

I could braze great, even weld with a torch and steel rod like a pro.  Arc and even wirefeed it was awful.  They say you're either a welder or a grinder, I was a grinder.  Then I got an autodimming helmet where I could actually see what I was doing.  Made learning how to properly weld a lot easier and within weeks I was getting great results.  Equipmentwise, that helmet has been the best investment for me when it comes to welding.  Oh and patience, that helped a lot.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck OP, it great that you have someone knowledgeable to help guide you. My first time was building my smoker (see avatar and I also posted pics here in DIY). It was a learning experience and I definitely need more practice but we all have to start somewhere. I practice my welds on scrap pieces every now and then to try and improve.

Post pics when you get something put together.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck OP, it great that you have someone knowledgeable to help guide you. My first time was building my smoker (see avatar and I also posted pics here in DIY). It was a learning experience and I definitely need more practice but we all have to start somewhere. I practice my welds on scrap pieces every now and then to try and improve.

Post pics when you get something put together.
View Quote

Well it turns out that I didn't get to weld anything. We got the frame done but because my buddy was on a tight schedule that day he knocked out the welds in no time and I just watched and asked questions.

So anyway, nothing special. Just a cart to hold both my smokers. I threw some plywood in there to make sure everything fit and it did. All my clearances were right-on. Now I just need to find a lighter material for the top and bottom deck. That ply is damn heavy!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Second pic didn't load the first time.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good, plenty of space on the top to set things down on, cutting board, pans etc. Will your setup be stored in a covered area to prevent rain from getting to it?

I'm sure you'll get your chance to weld something soon enough. There's always something that could use a weld or two!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
It stays out on the patio. But I do keep a cover over it (using a patio table cover)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top