Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2016 4:41:44 PM EDT
I need to get a pressure washer. My dad has a mac daddy Dewalt but it's a pain in the ass to go get it and move it back and forth each time I need it so I'll get my own.

I'll be using it for things like, driveway cleaning, gutters, pool deck cleaning, white vinyl fence etc... Nothing commercial or industrial.

What size and PSI do I need and what would you recommend as a good brand? Or should I say, what should I avoid? I have a Home Depot and a Lowes in town, along with Tractor Supply and Harbor Freight.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a gas powered minimal 2500 PSI 3 GPM unit.  Northern Tools has good models with Honda engines.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Ridgid from Home Depot.  Got in on closeout.  It's a good one but I think it's been closed out because they aren't at Home Depot any more.  

Don't buy anything with an aluminum pump...basically pretty much all they sell at Lowes.  Something with 2500-3000 PSI or so.  

If you have a Northern near you, they have a good selection.

This

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have this:  Powerhorse Gas Cold Water Pressure Washer — 3100 PSI, 2.5 GPM from Northern tool and does me great for home and a little on jobs...
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Stay away from the little electric ones except for mild cleaning and paint removal. They don't have enough pressure for big jobs. Whatever you buy, remember that nozzles are consumables. They erode and need to be replaced occasionally.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I do have a Northern in my area and will go check them out.

This is my Christmas present from my wife lol.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Highest GPM you can or want to afford with a Honda motor
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a Troy Bilt 2700 PSI Honda GCV160 off of Craigslist for $50 that wouldn't start and the pump was in rough shape.

$120 later and it works great.

Brigs and Stratton was the maker... They are for a bunch of these machines and the others just throw their labels on them. Troy Bilt doesn't do warranty work nor do they have manuals on their website for this one.

There are only so many pump builders and engine builders.  Most can be interchanged with an extra hole drilled in the platform.

Horizontal vs vertical shafts - Horizontal shafts seem to have beefier pumps and cost more.

It's really easy to take the pump off of one.  I'd recommend taking it off and storing it inside\somewhere it doesn't freeze during winter as the most common thing that destroys the pump is water freezing.

You will need to rebuild the pump as part of normal maintenance.

Starting the pump with water flowing though the wand helps it not take a hit\helps last longer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't buy one with more than 3100psi for homeowner use. I rented one once that would handle over 4000 psi. Worked great to wash the house and get paint off. But, it was too much pressure for normal everyday jobs.  I think the drive up car wash places usually run 2200 to 2500 psi or so for a point of reference.

Another poster mentioned freezing and that's a good point. I put pump protectant anti freeze into my pump for the winter and store it inside. My garage doesn't normally get below freezing. But, freezing will.destroy the pump. The OP appears to live in FL so that might not be a concern of his.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I got this one from Northern Tool for about $250 +tax:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200640597_200640597

Works perfect so far, but have only had it less than a year, and used it once.  Gets good reviews though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought one from these guys, about 16 years ago.
Still going strong.  Seasonal carb bowl clean out, but now no problems since using ethanol free...................  

Orlando Dealer

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bought one from these guys, about 16 years ago.
Still going strong.  Seasonal carb bowl clean out, but now no problems since using ethanol free...................  

Orlando Dealer

View Quote

Looks like they got some good options too.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the Sun Joe one from Amazon. I've used it on a fence, siding, concrete sidewalk and driveway, gutters, and my enclosed trailer. Works great for home use and it's electric so it's one less thing I have to "winterize" every year. Had it 2 years now and I love the little thing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just like CFM is the most important feature/ capability for air compressors, GPM is the same for pressure washers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just like CFM is the most important feature/ capability for air compressors, GPM is the same for pressure washers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top