Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2016 2:13:28 AM EDT
3m wants over $150 for each one.  It's just a wheel with a bit of rubber on it and a handle.

It seems like it would be pretty easy to duplicate, but I don't know where you'd get the rubber.  The wheels are extremely similar to a pulley wheel.  Maybe 2.5" in diameter.  Where would I find some hi temp o-rings or similar to fit a wheel that size?  The thicker one is probably 3/8" wide and the other is maybe 3/16".  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I googled "weatherstrip molding roller."

for the rubber, use weather strip molding:

for the wheel, a rolling garage door roller:

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at small utility cart padded replacement wheels, rather than getting pulleys and sticking o-rings on them, maybe?  Have to be lots of small, rubber-treaded solid wheels out there used on movable equipment racks, trays and dolleys.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:04:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Or you could go to a hobby shop and look at some rc airplane wheels.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Now that seems about right!  I'll have to do that and see what the foam feels like.  The weatherstrip stuff would just be too soft.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
look online at skateboard wheels. They make a surprising variety of shape material and size. Plus most are a urethane type material designed to hold up body weight. They might even be able to be trimmed into the shape your looking for. Then you would just need to make a type of handle to use.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't tell how firm the rubber is, but it looks similar to the foam rubber they sell for insulating pipes or like previously mentioned, weatherstripping foam.

Depending on how firm it needs to be, it might be possible to use a pully and glue a piece of the pipe insulation to it, then you'd just have to mcgyver some sort of handle for it. Since the pipe insulation comes in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1" sizes, by varying the pulley size along with the insulation size, you should be able to make a size for just about any need.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at Slim-Tread drive rollers on Mcmaster.com for the wheel.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Whirlpool Dryer drum rear drum supports.

Look them up, they would be perfect. Even used ones would work fine as it's usually the oil impregnated sleeves that go bad.

Use a drum support to mod and weld onto a shaft and you have the handle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Now that seems about right!  I'll have to do that and see what the foam feels like.  The weatherstrip stuff would just be too soft.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at some biplane wheels.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
look online at skateboard wheels. They make a surprising variety of shape material and size. Plus most are a urethane type material designed to hold up body weight. They might even be able to be trimmed into the shape your looking for. Then you would just need to make a type of handle to use.
View Quote

This or rollerblade wheels.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Skate board or roller blade wheels would be way too hard
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

McMaster, as usual, has exactly what you're looking for.  Plastic wheel with a rubber oring tire on a hub.  Add bearing and handle.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to work for a graphics place and the installers always just used squeegees, brushes and little foam pads on a wooden handle. Seems like you could get by just fine without the 3M tool.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Duplicate post
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

McMaster, as usual, has exactly what you're looking for.  Plastic wheel with a rubber oring tire on a hub.  Add bearing and handle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?  I've tried searching
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I used to work for a graphics place and the installers always just used squeegees, brushes and little foam pads on a wooden handle. Seems like you could get by just fine without the 3M tool.
View Quote

You certainly can.  But there are some situations where the wheel is warranted.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#21]

much too large and it's hard, not rubber.  I need a firm rubber wheel about 2.5" in diameter that's about 3/16" thick.  Then I need a wheel with a softer rubber the same diameter that's about 3/8" thick.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-feeders/=14mbatf

$17

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Can you screenshot or something?  I didn't see anything at that link that s like what I'm loolong for.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#24]
If you go the o-ring route, let me know and I will see what we have at work. I bet I can come up with all kinds of different sizes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#25]
How about snowmachine idler wheels?

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#26]
These. https://www.amazon.com/349241T-AP3098345-GENUINE-FACTORY-WHIRLPOOL/dp/B00F5M9QTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476652989&sr=8-1&keywords=Dryer+drum+rollers

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#27]
prototype complete.  50 cent screwdriver handle.  1/4" threaded rod and nuts, aluminum flat bar, 10-32 screw and nut.  RC airplane wheel.  Total investment is about $8.

I heated the screwdriver shaft until it released from the handle, then 'screwed' the threaded rod in.  Cut the bar stock to the size i needed and bent it.  Drilled some holes, put it all together.  Took about 10 minutes.

I think this might work very well.  Only question will be how well the foam holds up.  But, 2 new wheels are $3.... So....

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Prototype version 2, to more closely match this:

I think I got it pretty close.

I spent less than $40 on all the parts, and I have enough stuff left over to make 1 more of each.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top