Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2016 10:02:40 PM EDT
You may or may not remember a while ago I posted about building a bench in our entryway to replace a useless, dark closet. Here's that thread to refresh your memory:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=139&t=1771558

The bench turned out great, so I started work on the rest of the project this summer.

I first attached a thin plywood veneer on the walls to give them a smooth appearance and to act as the backing for the shelving. I then attached the vertical slats on top of the veneer.

The walls are slightly different widths so I had to offset the slats slightly. You can't even tell they're spaced differently.

Then on to the shelving. This was a pretty simple job compared to the bench. I just used plywood since it was going to get painted. The shape and size of the shelves mimic the bench.

Installation of the shelves was easy: they sit on top of the slats and are secured to the wall with screws. After some paint, hooks added to the slats, and new carpet on the floor, this project is nearly complete. Here's how it looks today.

And a comparison shot of the closet and demolition:

There are a few minor details I need to finish, mainly adding custom moulding along the edges of the walls and shelves to hide the seams.

I'm very happy with how this turned out, even though it took quite a while to finish.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice man...
Your hats remind me of some Australian Cattle Herders or something.
In all seriousness very nice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice man...
Your hats remind me of some Australian Cattle Herders or something.
In all seriousness very nice.
View Quote

Thanks!
I collect vintage fedoras. I have way too many so this extra space is pretty nice. My hat rack was packed full.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice.  I remember your original thread.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nicely done.

Let me make one suggestion - make a Plexiglass cover to protect the bottom portion of the window or replace the glass with safety glass (laminated of tempered).  Someone may lean back, push back (think about pulling on tight boots and your hand slips) or fall backwards place too much weight on the glass window, and break it.  Not only will you have a broken window but there is a high likelihood of a lacerated back (possibly badly lacerated).
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks great man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top