Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2016 10:55:22 PM EDT
Got a mill and a lathe today. Sheldon/Sebastian 16x40 and an Enco Bridgeport clone. Going to pick them up in 2 weeks.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice setup.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'm planning on using VFDs to supply 3ph power.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Pffft if I had those 80%s wouldn't be on my radar. Building all sorts of other toys would be
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pffft if I had those 80%s wouldn't be on my radar. Building all sorts of other toys would be
View Quote

This ^^^

IMHO, 80%'s are a waste of my time... too many other things to build...
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, raw forgings are too much of a pain. I'll definitely have plenty of things to do. My Marlin .44 is getting a threaded barrel and a can.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish my close-up vision was a buncha years younger than I am, but I gave up doing decent precision work a while ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, raw forgings are too much of a pain. I'll definitely have plenty of things to do. My Marlin .44 is getting a threaded barrel and a can.
View Quote

I was thinking more like billet or building guns of my own design.  Of course once you go outside the gun realm the possibilities are ENDLESS!

I'm trying to convince my wife that a benchtop mill and lathe are good investments for me and will keep me out of trouble....though I think after 4 years of marriage, 6 years of being together, she's onto me and knows this game .
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My list of gun projects keeps growing in my head. DeLisle Carbine 60mm Mortar...unfortunately they all require tax stamps.  If this ITAR situation gets worked out, I may get a gunsmith FFL to supplement my addiction.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone here know about VFDs? I'm thinking of putting one 220v welder outlet in my basement and wiring the VFDs to plugs so I just plug each in when I want to use it. Will that work?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone here know about VFDs? I'm thinking of putting one 220v welder outlet in my basement and wiring the VFDs to plugs so I just plug each in when I want to use it. Will that work?
View Quote

That's what I did for my Bridgeport. $120 2hp VFD from ebay.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like the lathe come with some nice tooling.

One thing you'll want is a nice test indicator, they're the backbone of precision in setups. Between that knee mill and the lathe's 4-jaw you'll get real familiar with it.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, just remember that VFD's and drum switches don't play well together. Wire your VFD directly to your 3-phase motor and bypass all your other controls. Depending on how it was previously wired you may have to reconfigure the 9 wires coming off the motor.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP, just remember that VFD's and drum switches don't play well together. Wire your VFD directly to your 3-phase motor and bypass all your other controls. Depending on how it was previously wired you may have to reconfigure the 9 wires coming off the motor.
View Quote

When I wired up my South Bend I wanted to use the original drum switch, but everyone said don't do it. Luckily, I was able to use it by stripping all of the original heavy gauge wires out of the drum switch and using the thin colored wires from a piece of CAT5 cable wired to the VFD's specific external controller ports. Works like a charm and I get to keep the VFD itself in a NEMA 4 enclosure in order to keep it clean.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One thing you'll want is a nice test indicator, they're the backbone of precision in setups. Between that knee mill and the lathe's 4-jaw you'll get real familiar with it.  

View Quote

Yes, it has a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, and a collet chuck. No steady rest though.  I'll probably end up making a taper attachment for it.

I'm a machinist in my day job, though it has been a while since I've used manual machines. I have a decent collection of measuring equipment but I definitely need a good dial test indicator and base.  The lathe will get a dro before too long.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes, it has a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, and a collet chuck. No steady rest though.  I'll probably end up making a taper attachment for it.

I'm a machinist in my day job, though it has been a while since I've used manual machines. I have a decent collection of measuring equipment but I definitely need a good dial test indicator and base.  The lathe will get a dro before too long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a blessing!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top