Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2016 10:11:46 AM EDT
Several companies offer products for resurfacing concrete, they all claim to be the best. Anyone have any actual experience with any of them?

My upper drive is in need of either replacement or resurfacing. It was poured in the mid '70's, had no control breaks in it so there are several cracks in all different directions. It is stable though, I've been in the house for 25 years and it hasn't moved or changed that I can tell aside from weathering more. It is about 30' x 70' with a turn around on one side.

I'm planning on selling the house next year, just trying to make it look better. Replacement is an option but if a resurfacing product is a viable and more economical option I would rather go that route.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Replacement cost?

Any freezing weather?

Epoxy based topping compound works very well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Epoxy based toppimg is the best. But imsamely expensive.

Quikcrete is ok. Just did mine with it. Not perfect. Has its problems.

Just found out about ardex cd, pissed i didn't see it until AFTER my project was done. Unreal. All the research i did, and i happened to stumble across ardex afterwards. Sigh.

Ultimately, if the spalling is localized, i suggest renting a scarifier, taking down the concrete a couple inches, and then filling with an appropriate filler. Ardex, or even a finer concrete product.

Its what i wish i did now.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't had an estimate for replacement but I guess it would be around $6K based on what I paid for my lower drive a couple of years ago. No spalling, just unsightly cracks that every weed known to man likes to sprout from.  Central GA temps aren't really a problem, very few days each year below freezing.

If I were planning on staying in the house I would rip it right out and change the shape, adding a walk to a patio. Right now I just want to make it look better before I put it on the market.

ETA: That Ardex CD product may be the ticket, thanks for mentioning it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a number of one year vegetation poisons available.

Buy a quart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top