Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2016 6:08:03 PM EDT
Would a mortising bit on the corners work, and then connecting the corners with a router work?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Make a template and use a router
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
How square are we talking about?  Punch the corners with a 1/8" drill and follow up with a jig saw.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
What, specifically are you trying to accomplish?

How big a square or rectangle and what is your end goal with these holes?  You might have other options to consider.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Oscillating tools can easily accomplish this, with the right "blade".
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Ideally it would almost be perfectly square.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How big a square or rectangle and what is your end goal with these holes?  You might have other options to consider.
View Quote

I'm wanting to build a desk. The two square/rectangular holes would be for the computer tower to get air on the side and back (and for cable management in the back). I'd be veneering the edges of the plywood.

ETA: the side hole would be >80 square inches, and the back hole would be >30 square inches.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
80 and 30 sq. in. holes sound large enough for a jig saw and straight edge to guide it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I do a stopped cut on the table saw or a guided plunge/stop cut with a circular saw and finish the cut with a jap saw.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I do a stopped cut on the table saw or a guided plunge/stop cut with a circular saw and finish the cut with a jap saw.
View Quote

Table saw only works if it's at the edge of the stock. A circular saw plunge cut may work, if the sides of the hole are long enough to handle a circular saw plunge cut.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm wanting to build a desk. The two square/rectangular holes would be for the computer tower to get air on the side and back (and for cable management in the back). I'd be veneering the edges of the plywood.

ETA: the side hole would be >80 square inches, and the back hole would be >30 square inches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

6x6 and 9x9

Drill corners, use those to locate your square router template, trim waste from router fillet and inside fillet radius from drilled hole with a chisel.
Or just router, and veneer the radius.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
80 and 30 sq. in. holes sound large enough for a jig saw and straight edge to guide it.
View Quote

This but I'd add a layer of tape to your cut lines to help avoid tear out of your plywood.  Should also score your cut line with a utility knife.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Table saw only works if it's at the edge of the stock. A circular saw plunge cut may work, if the sides of the hole are long enough to handle a circular saw plunge cut.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can make larger one in the middle.

Put the wood down and raise the blade while running.

A block of wood clamped to the fence will hold the plywood down and in position to start the cut.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top