Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2016 12:10:58 PM EDT
Ok i really have no clue what i am doing but been repairing bathroom over the past year. I do live in a 92 doublewide so quality is about a 2 out of 10. Anyway the floor was rotten so i tore everything out around the tub. Floor and walls replaces. I replaced the drywall with the purple stuff and then desided to tile around the tub. I was planning on just putting the cement board over the drywall and tile? I been reading this is not a good idea but will it be ok? Do i paint the drywall?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Cement board and and an actual moisture barrier.

While tile is often waterproof and impermeable grout is NOT impermeable.
Water wicks through it just fine.

All the extra layer does is make the wall stack up 'different' and harder to deal with.

You will end up paying more in little details over the cost of the project.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok i really have no clue what i am doing but been repairing bathroom over the past year. I do live in a 92 doublewide so quality is about a 2 out of 10. Anyway the floor was rotten so i tore everything out around the tub. Floor and walls replaces. I replaced the drywall with the purple stuff and then desided to tile around the tub. I was planning on just putting the cement board over the drywall and tile? I been reading this is not a good idea but will it be ok? Do i paint the drywall?
View Quote

Do not do that.  That will be lower than 2/10 quality-wise.

Take off the drywall.  Install cement board.  Paint on some RedGard (or other moisture barrier) over the cement board.  Use thin set mortar to lay tiles, then grout and seal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
As mentioned above, screw the hardi board to the studs, tape the seams, and then apply redgard to the hardi board.  The redgard is the membrane that will keep moisture out of the wall space.  Do not leave the drywall on the wall.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
You can also buy Schluter kerdi use unmodified thinset to install it and the tile it. Tip I always never set the substrate on the tub I leave a gap that water cannot contact the substrate if water sits on tub ledge area. Bostick makes a thinset just for schluter systems. Keribond from mapei works good also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top