Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2016 9:21:30 AM EDT
I need to do some hardwood floor repairs and only thing to reach (wall, door jams and thresholds )
and precision cuts is rotating tool. been looking at dremel mm20 but see they have  mm30 & mm40. any other good ones. want corded not batt operated
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Do u have a right angle air powered die grinder?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have this one, Rockwell, I've used it enough to know I like it but I also don't have anything else to compare it to. I don't know if Dremel's use proprietary attachments. I wanted something that had universal options. I also didn't do a lot of comparison shopping. I needed it, got to finger it, bought it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK5141K-Sonicrafter-Universal-34-Piece/dp/B00LK51PDK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473865546&sr=8-3&keywords=rockwell+oscillating+saw
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do u have a right angle air powered die grinder?
View Quote

no.  jus chop saw, and rip saw
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
honestly the harbor freight one is good enough.
I bought one for a single job. It still works, but don't really use it much. for 25 bucks it isn't too bad to have sitting in a box.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought one for a single job. It still works, but don't really use it much. for 25 bucks it isn't too bad to have sitting in a box.
View Quote

this is what i got.

get a decent blade and it  will work fine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Fein /thread
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bosch that is great
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of the people that will recommend the tier 1 high dollar brands either don't own them themselves or buy it just because.
I own the Rockwell. Not sure the model right off hand but it was the most powerful one lowes had at the time. Used it, abused it and wouldn't ever think of getting rid of it. Very well built tool IMHO
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Dremel MM40, it works fine no problems, the quick change tool lever is nice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quick change tool head is a must I think. I don't have it . Mine was free in a tool bundle though.

If you do remodeling, these tools get used quite a bit. The amount I spent would be based on how often it will be worked, if the tool is going to collect dust, don't spend too much.

Try not to smoke your blades, they'll last longer. Not too big of a deal unless you are cutting through lots of wood in one pass, 2x material and up(nails and fiberglass will eat blades super fast).

Battery operated tools are pretty dang good these days if you have a set of battery operated tools that you use enough to keep the batteries charged. Mine works good enough for a 12v.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got the porter cable. I like it a lot however it can get pretty warm when using it for extended periods. Whatever you get make sure it has the universal fit. I think there are still a few out there that use proprietary attachments
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up the 20v brushless dewalt oscillator back when they ran it as deal of the day in like April or something as I'm already tied into the Dewalt 20v cordless shit.

Works good. Use it more than I originally thought I would.

Like the previous poster, go slow and easy and don't smoke the blades.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#14]
The Dremel tool I have is just on the far side of a toy.  It works but ...

Fein may be great to have but at $350, it is too expensive for anyone but professionals who will get there money out of it.

Buy a decent quality tool from a name brand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have this one, Rockwell, I've used it enough to know I like it but I also don't have anything else to compare it to. I don't know if Dremel's use proprietary attachments. I wanted something that had universal options. I also didn't do a lot of comparison shopping. I needed it, got to finger it, bought it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK5141K-Sonicrafter-Universal-34-Piece/dp/B00LK51PDK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473865546&sr=8-3&keywords=rockwell+oscillating+saw
View Quote

I've used this one, the bosch, the fein, and the porter cable. I liked the bosch and the Rockwell the best. I went with the Rockwell when I bought one because I could get the blades cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fein /thread
View Quote

This.  

Buy the best tool you can afford as you need it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have a Bosch that is great
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

this is what i got.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is what i got.

Same here
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#19]
The Black and Decker 2.5A ones were on sale recently at Walmart in the clearance aisles. Basically the same tool as the PorterCable and Dewalt as B&D makes all three.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fein /thread

This.  

Fein changed their chuck recently to try to bypass aftermarket on blades and Fein's blades suck balls and are expensive. I have to use the Bosch blades on our new Fein just to get any blade longevity. The Rockwell blades seem to hold up the best but can't use em with the new Fein. Fein is like Hk too with a "fuck you" attitude towards parts and service.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Drill holes and use a chisel to split out old boards.

An older floor may have cut nails in the tongues.

T-nails or staples in newer floors are a lot softer but it is all to easy to damage tongues (and grooves) using power tools.

Sometimes plain old hand tools really are the best answer.

There very slowness helps limit collateral damage.

Unless you are just trying to justify a new tool.

A mortise chisel (about 1/4 inch wide) comes in handy.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

T-nails or staples in newer floors are a lot softer but it is all to easy to damage tongues (and grooves) using power tools.

View Quote

ill have to get a pic of the work, but a rotating tool will be best i think

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Fein or makita. Use those two at work, but have a 20v dewalt as a personal tool. All are great. Cheap does work, but cuts wont be as clean.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

We used to just set a circular saw up and make a couple kerfs down the offending board then split it out. One day the boss (the big boss) of the company decides he needs to do the cutout on an exotic floor, we tape up the floor around the damage and he runs a coupla kerfs then goes to set the saw down in the floor behind him not realizing the blade guard is stuck in the retracted position. Saw takes off across the floor, backwards, damaging six more boards! Boy was he pissed!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#25]
The Harbor Frieght one did everything I needed for four  rooms, four closets, and five hallways.  Only needed two blades.  The first blade went through a dozen nails at least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top