Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 6:20:33 AM EDT
In order to put a dog door into the back yard, we had to "extend" the back porch a couple of feet.  Originally, we used some primed & painted OSB, but its starting to delaminate (about seven years).  I'm looking to replace it with some 1/2" marine plywood.  I'm going to prime it well (especially the edges), and paint it with some outdoor porch & step type paint.  My question is what to do with the edges.

One thing I've thought about is putting come aluminum c-channel to wrap the edges to help keep the moisture out.  In order to provide a little extra protection, I've also thought about putting some silicone caulk into the c-channel before attaching it to the plywood to help with waterproofing it.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You could try putting a skim coat of silicone or urethane sealant on the edges.
Just enough to seal the pores should work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not use something like a hardi panel?  Cement based panel made for weather exposure.

True marine plywood is probably overkill.  Its different in that there are no voids in the interior laminations.  If you end up using plywood, use a good exterior grade plywood and seal the edges.   A cap over the edges seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could try putting a skim coat of silicone or urethane sealant on the edges.
Just enough to seal the pores should work.
View Quote

This is what I do, works fine.  Make sure you get a paintable caulk, though.  100% silicone looks like hell if you try to paint it.
Really no need for marine plywood; pretty much anything you find at the local lumberyard/big box store will work fine if finished properly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In order to put a dog door into the back yard, we had to "extend" the back porch a couple of feet.  Originally, we used some primed & painted OSB, but its starting to delaminate (about seven years).  I'm looking to replace it with some 1/2" marine plywood.  I'm going to prime it well (especially the edges), and paint it with some outdoor porch & step type paint.  My question is what to do with the edges.

One thing I've thought about is putting come aluminum c-channel to wrap the edges to help keep the moisture out.  In order to provide a little extra protection, I've also thought about putting some silicone caulk into the c-channel before attaching it to the plywood to help with waterproofing it.

Any thoughts?
View Quote

That is the best option.  IMHO
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Marine and exterior plywood share very similar construction. Marine plywood is guaranteed to have no internal voids.

You could treat the plywood like they do in the marine industry. They use epoxy and paint both side and all 4 edges with it before installation. Then they glue it down when possible, but if they have to use screws they pre-drill, add silicone sealant, and then drive the screw home. This makes a piece of plywood almost impervious to water.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Marine and exterior plywood share very similar construction. Marine plywood is guaranteed to have no internal voids.

You could treat the plywood like they do in the marine industry. They use epoxy and paint both side and all 4 edges with it before installation. Then they glue it down when possible, but if they have to use screws they pre-drill, add silicone sealant, and then drive the screw home. This makes a piece of plywood almost impervious to water.
View Quote

I agree that the marine plywood is probably overkill for your use. I would use MDO (Medium Density Overlay; a fancy way of saying "kraft paper") plywood instead - similar to marine plywood, the exterior veneers are free of voids, or at least filled in, and then a paper veneer is added to both sides.  The paper is paintable and smooth, although for superior finishes I use a high build primer, and sand it to the texture I want.

On the exposed edges, I seal the end grain with thinned epoxy so that it penetrates a little into the grain. For a more finished look, you could epoxy thin strips to the edges to provide sealing and appearance in one shot.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
We used fiberglass resin to seal MG plywood at the marina I used to work at. Once resin has set up (over night) scuff it up with some sandpaper before painting with porch paint.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We used fiberglass resin to seal MG plywood at the marina I used to work at. Once resin has set up (over night) scuff it up with some sandpaper before painting with porch paint.
View Quote

^^^ What I came to suggest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top