Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2016 1:44:15 PM EDT
I have an Echo SRM210 trimmer that is about 12 years old (more than got my money out of it lol). It has been trouble free for that time until last week.

Started with issues of bogging down and not running at full throttle or with the choke full off. Then it would die when i would lift it of the ground after starting (checked the fuel level and it is good).

Google has found nothing ref the dying while lifting it up.

I have put fresh Trufuel pre mix in it to rule out bad mix/gas and results were the same.

I cleaned the spark screen/muffler with the same results,

Fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter and plug were changed out in May of this year. I checked the plug the other day and it appears to be fine (not lean/rich/wet).

I currently have the carb off and apart soaking in cleaner to see if that helps.

There are no adjustments on the carb (Zama rotary throttle) except for idle speed. Doesn't appear to be any internal adjustments either. Everything inside looks good and appears to move when its supposed to.

Other than sitting for 3 weeks between last time i used it there was nothing different between running fine and not running.

Anyone have ideas? Worse case scenario a new carb is like $15 but if I can fix it i'd prefer that.

Thanks
J-

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Two most likely issues are a bad carb and a clogged muffler. It's not always the muffler screen. I've seen exhaust ports plugged too.

I'd reassemble.The carb, clean the entire exhaust system, and the test it. If it doesn't work then I'd order a new carb.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I put new fuel lines on my cub cadet weed eater they didn't last this season. I had one of those ceramic filters in the tank replace that with the weighted filter like it had for years. I'd check them. My 2 cent's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the exact same trimmer for about the same amount of time and about the same problem. After replacing spark plug, screen, fuel lines, etc I just couldn't get it to run. Finally, broke down and took it to dealer. $120 later had a new carb, new plug, fuel filter and fuel line and it was working like a champ. Sometimes, (at least for me) a dealer is the only answer. Plus he cleaned up it so it looked about brand new. I literally LOVE that trimmer so I was glad to not have to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Trying to get the carb cleaned will drive you insane.  Buy Chinese replacement carb of off Ebay for $15.00 shipped.  Thank me later.

I just went through this last month with my 18 year old Echo trimmer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I was told long ago for a lot of these "new" small engines to not even try cleaning the carb. Just buy the cheap Chicom carb like Engineer5 suggested.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Copy thanks guys. New carb ordered and on the way.

J-

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Just for S&G, let us know if you bolt that new carb on and all the problems go away. I'm just curious of the outcome.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just for S&G, let us know if you bolt that new carb on and all the problems go away. I'm just curious of the outcome.
View Quote

will do.

J-
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Had the same problem. I put a new carb and new fuel lines on it and fixed it.
Gutted the muffler and now it runs better than new.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Put the new carb on and removed the muffler to rule that out. Starts and idles much better but still bogs and stalls when throttle is depressed so I am guessing that there is some kind of adjustment that needs to be done. There is what appears to be an adjustment screw on the new carb that is not on the original so I may monkey around with that my next day off. Otherwise I'm getting a new trimmer and taking this one up to the cottage.

J-
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:26:01 AM EDT
[#11]
get a new ignition coil.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
get a new ignition coil.
View Quote

looking like a new coil is 50-60bucks. May just go with a new trimmer for what I have put into it and the length of time I got out of it.

J-
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#13]
There are no indicators that the coil is bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Put the new carb on and removed the muffler to rule that out. Starts and idles much better but still bogs and stalls when throttle is depressed so I am guessing that there is some kind of adjustment that needs to be done. There is what appears to be an adjustment screw on the new carb that is not on the original so I may monkey around with that my next day off. Otherwise I'm getting a new trimmer and taking this one up to the cottage.

J-
View Quote

That should be the high speed mixture screw. Sounds like you are running a touch lean. Screw it out 1/8th turn at a time running it up after each turn until it accelerates smoothly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That should be the high speed mixture screw. Sounds like you are running a touch lean. Screw it out 1/8th turn at a time running it up after each turn until it accelerates smoothly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

cool thats what I'm looking for. I'll give it a try tommorrow.

Thanks
J-
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks
J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Thanks
J-

Couple minutes of adjustment and she's running like a raped ape. Thanks for all the help guys.

J-

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Make sure you keep opening it a little past raped ape or you'll probably still be too lean.  Mildly enraged ape is what you're looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top