Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2016 9:47:22 AM EDT
I have a 400 sq foot part of a courtyard that used to be vegetation, wife now wants it to be uniform stone.

We found some reclaimed grey sandstone that's been offered at $12/sq foot. Mason is quoting us labor at $5/sq foot.

Looks like $6800 before tax. Just wanting to know if this sounds reasonable (cost of stone and labor)? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It's hard to say. Costs vary by location and what the substrate requires.

Get a few quotes to compare?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]
My parents, who live in Northern Ohio, drove to the local sandstone quarry and were paying them $8 a truckload (load it yourself) for sandstone. They would bring back a few large pieces each weekend until they built a huge patio out of it. They literally just fitted them together in the grass with only dirt below them. Ten years later it still looks amazing.

My point is that stone is cheap there. Call some quarries and see what a truck load sells for and then find somebody that works hourly to install it. Paying per square foot is stupid since you are using the rock that Ohio is built atop of.

Also, whatever you do, make sure you are using large pieces. At least a few square feet each. If they're small they will shift (unless bedded in cement) while walked on.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen reclaimed stone costing more than new stone the relationship people have with using reclaimed products usually brings. Lot of character (ie scratches,b broken pieces,etc.) If your restoring a old house to keep up with vintage of the home. I work with granite and marble countertops industry and restoring old tops is time consuming and expensive. Is the material in clean shape free of concrete ? I wouldn't lay a stone floor for the price. Look for more stone yards and get more bids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top