Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 7:26:08 PM EDT
Just what the heck am I looking at?  My girlfriend and I are in the process of little fixes here and there on her house.  I'm up in the attic trying to track and trace her wiring while ripping up boards and laying down new ones and plywood.

The back story is her house was built in 1947 and has had a series of bubba fixes and upgrades throughout the years.  I've had some head scratching and sometimes enraging moments the past year dealing with this stuff.  Last night, I came across this rats nest.  I traced the red and black wire off to the right.  It took a while but It appears to be providing power to the AC unit in the house.  I'm not 100% on that because they drilled through and dropped it down the wall.  The only place I can find a similar wire coming up is next to the unit.

1) What is the black thing this wire is going into?  It is 1 line with the red wire cut and screwed into the black puck.  Then there's wires coming of that and tied into the gang box that you see.
2) Am I good to pull all this apart and clean up the box and connections?

I do not pretend to be an electrician.  I know just barely enough to keep myself from frying....barely.  Looking forward to the answers

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
low voltage transformer, probably for a doorbell
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just what the heck am I looking at?  My girlfriend and I are in the process of little fixes here and there on her house.  I'm up in the attic trying to track and trace her wiring while ripping up boards and laying down new ones and plywood.

The back story is her house was built in 1947 and has had a series of bubba fixes and upgrades throughout the years.  I've had some head scratching and sometimes enraging moments the past year dealing with this stuff.  Last night, I came across this rats nest.  I traced the red and black wire off to the right.  It took a while but It appears to be providing power to the AC unit in the house.  I'm not 100% on that because they drilled through and dropped it down the wall.  The only place I can find a similar wire coming up is next to the unit.

1) What is the black thing this wire is going into?  It is 1 line with the red wire cut and screwed into the black puck.  Then there's wires coming of that and tied into gang box that you see

Just a guess - it's a transformer to provide a low voltage line for the door bell.  Do you have a voltmeter?

2) Am I good to pull all this apart and clean up the box and connections?

No, see below.

I do not pretend to be an electrician..

Then don't try to be.  Hire a qualified electrician to work this.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI  ding

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
low voltage transformer, probably for a doorbell
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Roger on the doorbell. Going back over it, there's one in the house around that location. Appreciate the quick responses.

Trollslayer - I hear you and would prefer to do that. As of right now, there's no money for that sort of thing. I'm a full time student about to finish up nursing school.  The money I do have and earn is pretty much already allocated.  She makes great money but is also tasked out.  I'm reasonably comfortable doing things like this but at the same time, I know I am an amateur and my limitations.

I don't have a volt meter anymore (long ex-wife story) but I've been meaning to get another. I'll have to keep an eye out for a decent one on sale.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Harbor Freight, less than $20.  It will do everything you need and a lot more.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like I just found my deal.  Thank you again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The more you move the old fabric/tar/rubber wires usually the insulation breaks off. Be careful when moving them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, that I know from replacing 2 prong outlets. It's also fun when you kill a breaker that controls one area of the house and a single outlet dies on the other side. Makes you really wonder what they were doing and thinking.

I just found a gang box run with Romex that didn't connect to anything at all.  That and a ceiling outlet held up by a broomstick and 18 gauge wire.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That, or a coupon and you can get a free one with any other purchase... use the coupon an buy a $1 item and you essentially have a free multimeter (I don't think there is a minimum purchase value necessary but I could be wrong).
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol

Why are you laughing?  That's an NEC approved broomstick.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#13]
As a long time electrical business owner/family, I hope you have smoke detectors and good insurance.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That, or a coupon and you can get a free one with any other purchase... use the coupon an buy a $1 item and you essentially have a free multimeter (I don't think there is a minimum purchase value necessary but I could be wrong).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free multimeter

Buy a non-contact voltage tester to get your free multimeter. You really should have both. Maybe buy a circuit tracer too while you're there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Never trust a non-contact tester.

NEVER.

There have been multiple recalls of even 'name brand' models.

Before you even MOVE any of those old wires make sure you have a heat gun and shrink tubing along with some electrical tape.
Scotch 33+ type.
Not the no-name Chinese junk.

Later production had solder plated copper wire to keep the rubber from touching copper.

Early stuff had rubber directly on copper.
The reaction makes the insulation turn stiff and brittle.  It will fall off the wire.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Awesome ...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#17]

4/10

Ceiling fan?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope. Just a standard light fixture. I picked up the volt meter and circuit tracer but I've been too busy to get back at it.

It sucks bc every time I go to do something that should take 30 minutes, I find something new that takes 30 hours. Nice house and great location but damn does it get annoying sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Makes so much of what I've done seem like overkill rather than simply correct. Also, my realtor knows I do and will go into crawlspaces and attics.

It takes so little to do it right. Google and keeping your head out of your ass will take you a long way (clearly the broom stick installer suffered from cranial-rectal-inversion).
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Frankly, I wish there was some sort of recourse against the home inspector.  It's not like this thing was tucked away or hidden under something.  The broom handle light fixture holder upper thingy -ma-bobber is the tip of the iceberg.

We pulled a panel off a closet wall to take a look at the plumbing of a shower/tub due to some recent issues.  Besides the bent pipes at non-standard lengths and widths (I imagine they did that to shoehorn them into place rather than doing it right), if you looked...oh, I don't know, DOWN...you can see the bare dirt underneath the house.  Dirt and a random 4x4.

Crazy thing is, this is and was a trendier part of Memphis.  Memphis has a lot of weird areas and pockets where civilization exists and normal people can be/feel safe (ish!!  Carry accordingly).  She could flip this house for an easy $50k from what she paid 3 years ago.

I still want to find the home inspector and everyone involved with this house for the past few decades and throttle them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn easy way to get shocked or house burnt down, not even a wire nut. Btw that transformer looks like it can used as the cover on the box judging by the holes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I would operate on the premise that everything that is cloth wrapped is up to 1947 code

anything modern is bubba rigged

all the rigged stuff needs either to be torn out

or the entire place needs to be rewired to modern code

it looks like someone needed power for another outlet and ran new (blue) wire into the box

I'm not sure what they are up to with the ground wire from the box to the closer gang of wires

as noted above, the transformer mounts on the box top and should ground via the cover

Maybe they thought it was a bad idea to shove 2 un taped connections back in next each other and re install the cover

that transformer feeds 2 doorbells.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I know its not your house but she should never buy a house with cloth wiring in it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh, that I know from replacing 2 prong outlets.
View Quote

Hopefully you know you can't just replace 2 prong outlets with 3 prong without being certain that you are properly grounding the new 3 prong outlet. Judging by the pics you have shown us Id be very leery of the grounding situation. I'm all for people doing things themselves but that disaster needs a professional assessment of WTF is going on.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#25]
OP needs to commit to making everything he touches safe or make the GF hire somebody. Someday there are going to be kids in that house things like GFCIs become even more important.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I know its not your house but she should never buy a house with cloth wiring in it.
View Quote

She was 24 when she bought this place and it was her first house.  She took the inspector's report at face value.  I'm sure we've all been there, I know I have.  I learned a good amount after buying my first place and what to look for, be picky about, and question during future buys.  Even then, I'm sure I'll get surprised again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hopefully you know you can't just replace 2 prong outlets with 3 prong without being certain that you are properly grounding the new 3 prong outlet. Judging by the pics you have shown us Id be very leery of the grounding situation. I'm all for people doing things themselves but that disaster needs a professional assessment of WTF is going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, that I know from replacing 2 prong outlets.

I did not until I was talking to my father about things.  I've never had to deal with something like this.  When he mentioned it, I started looking into it.  I found this: http://structuretech1.com/2009/04/how-to-fix-ungrounded-three-prong-outlets/.  The metal gang boxes tested as grounded so I connected a ground wire.  I've also sprinkled GFCI's throught the house.

I know I'm in over my head here.  This isn't my trade nor my hobby.  I hear and understand you guys when you say to hire an electrician.  I would prefer to do so.  At the moment, that isn't an option.  I know that's a shitty unsat answer but it is what it is for the moment.

I guess I should check into TN's requirements but in general, is there any recourse for going against the inspector at this point?  I'm really wondering if he even looked at this house or did a drive by "yup, it's good."  This and other shit around here, there's no way he could've missed it if he did even a cursory inspection.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The cloth is covering black rubber insulation.

Rubber only came in one color.
Black.

The marking requirements for conductors required something available in at least white and one other color (not green).

Some of the old wiring may have soldered joints.

The first 'caps' to make connections had a short length of threaded copper with a copper set screw style plug.
A Bakelite cover screwed on for insulation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#29]
All of that is pretty typical of  70 year old house. I deal with stuff like that all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top