Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 2:08:28 AM EDT
Does anyone know what this is, who makes it, and where I can find one? One of my doors is missing the thing in the second image and my system won't arm. It's like some kind of magnetic door sensor or something.

I'm hoping I can just get the thingy that is missing and pop it in there myself.

Anyone know anything about this kind of stuff?

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the keypad panel for brand and model info.
Check existing sensors and open battery compartments for model info.

Check the nearest closet for the phone/cell box, it will likely have model numbers or service phone numbers.

Once you've determined the model of the system, Google instructions for how to turn off that sensor so you can arm the rest of the place.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok. First is the missing part on the jamb or the actual door?

How deep is the hole? Diameter?

Most likely just the magnet

Eta: from the pic that looks like a 3/8" sensor with a goof ring.

By how shallow that hole is I'd be inclined to believe that was a flat rare earth magnet. It was probably glued or double videotaped in place. There are special ones that have a hole in the middle and take a stainless screw.

Can you check the setup on your other doors?

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The thing in the second picture is a magnet.  Take a fridge magnet and tape it to the thing in the first picture  to see if the zone clears.   If that fixes your issue then  you can go to Lowes or home depot and get a generic  one off the hardware isle and  hot glue it in the hole.      If you can't find one then IM me you info and Ill mail you one
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Top one looks like the contact, bottom one looks like a magnet.
If you pull the contact out you can see the wiring.
You might have to take the molding off.
Get one the same size & swap it out.

Edit: If you're missing the magnet, you don't have to mess with the wiring - just drop in a new one.
You can probably get one on Amazon or E-Bay.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.amazon.com/Normally-Magnetic-Contact-Security-Switch/dp/B00O9W5IXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469363891&sr=8-1&keywords=alarm+reed+switch+magnet

I'd pick up a few extra for spares. The link above is 10 for $11.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
OP disappeared
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP disappeared
View Quote

You act surprised. Being a '10er you should know that's ARF SOP
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP disappeared

Yeah I know

I was waiting for him to respond because I was going to offer to throw the right kind of magnet in the mail if he wanted

Oh well
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been having fun with my system adding components, programing n such.  Key fobs and secondary perimeter for the gun safe was cool.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been having fun with my system adding components, programing n such.  Key fobs and secondary perimeter for the gun safe was cool.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Do you mean a second partition?

What brand is your system?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Ademco Vista.  Honeywell, and yes, partition.

The damned manual for the programing confused the shit out of me but there are tons of youtube vids out there.  Id have never even tried to do any of this without the step by step walk troughs.  Don't have that much patience.  

When they initially installed my system , the keypad wasn't an alpha so I couldn't do much.  Once I found the  joys of the alpha pad I just started researching hat I can do.  few key fobs later and im learning a lot.  

The pro installers... I have respect for them.  This thing got irritating a few times.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry about disappearing. I neglected to subscribe to the topic. I did as suggested with the magnet test and the bypassed the missing sensor. I wasn't able to find one locally and ordered one online last week after forgetting to over and over again.

I actually found the original magnet insert stuck to my broom handle just now while doing some insomniac garage cleaning.

Thanks everyone who replied and sorry for not responding sooner. I'm going to poke around the settings and see if i can get emails or something so I can be better about that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top