Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 7:23:38 PM EDT
No, I don't get it for free at Walmart, let's get that out of the way right off the bat.

I have a Ryobi gas pressure washer that I got as somewhat of an impulse buy and it comes with a 0*, 25*, 40*, and soap quick connect tips. I'd like a 15* tip as well but I know that orifice size is important to proper operation.

The machine I have is a 2.3 GPM, 2,800 PSI unit. What GPM rated tip would I need to avoid any problems down the road with the pump? The manual doesn't specify.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The tips that came with your pressure washer should have markings on them.

For example, i recently rebuilt, from ground up, a Northern Tools belt driven 3500 psi, 4.5 gpm pressure washer which i won at auction from a local municipality. I have $750 in it, and brand new, Northern tools sells them for $2,000. So i'm happy.

One of the things i needed was a wand, gun, and quick nozzles like yours. I did some research and the nozzle orifice is in fact sized to the psi and gpm of the pump. So you are correct to be looking for the appropriate orifice size to match your pressure washer. To small and you will destroy your pump, as it's working past designed perameters to push water passed an undersized hole. To big and you will loose the rated psi of your pressure washer.

In my case, i found an online pressure washer nozzle calculator at
http://www.pressureparts.com/nozzlecalculator.aspx/

I punched in my numbers and it came up with a size 5 nozzle. Here is where it gets interesting. Upon setting up the PW, i bought a 3/8" quick connect qauge off amazon for $30. After adjusting my brand new unloader, i can only get 3000 psi from my unit. Not cause the pump is tired, or because the engine is weak(honda gx390 13hp) but because the calculator was wrong and i more than likely needed a #4.5 or a '45' nozzle.

Now, does that mean when you punch your numbers in that it will be off? Can't tell ya. Maybe there is a built in margine of error which leans towards the next orifice size up to ensure the company isn't opened up to litigation.
Either way, at 4.5 gpm and 3000 psi, this thing is a beast.

To determine what size orifice you have, look at the side of the quick connect part. Lasered or engraved into the side of the nozzle body should be numbers. In my case the pump on my PW is an industry standard commercial General Pumps TS2021 model pump. So i purchased General Pumps nozzles. I have 5. Color coded by angle pattern, from wide open (black), white, green, yellow and finally red(murder death kill nozzle).

My nozzles are #5 nozzles. The lasered numbers all end in '50'. This leads me to believe is the size indication of my nozzles. I suggest you look there for the last two numbers. They could be the first two numbers if not General Pump nozzles.
Worst case senario, the calculator says you need #3 nozzles. Try them. Some companys may call that a '30' nozzle ( for 3.0 minus the decimal point).

Sorry i got long there. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow great post! Thanks!

The calculator says I need a size 3, which if I'm not mistaken means the orifice is .030". I will check the nozzles on my machine, didn't think to look.

What gauge did you buy, and how/where did you connect it? Now I'm curious to see what PSI I'm getting, though I know the GPM is the important number not so much the PSI.

ETA:
The nozzles on my machine are .027. I've seen nozzles on Amazon and they are rated by GPM, so I'm hoping the 2.7 would be the correct one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Attatch the gauge between the unloader and the hose.

This is the one i bought. VERY good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QZ4A1E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's 3/8" quick connect coupler, yours is probably a 1/4" coupler. You may need to shop for the right one.

And yes, i agree, your nozzle size is 2.7. Thats what you look for.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I just looked at that gauge and yup, I'd need 1/4" but now I know what to look for.

Thanks again for the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top