Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2016 9:19:27 PM EDT
I'm trying to drill out the blind pin on my FS2000 flash hider.  None of my general purpose bits are denting this thing.  I first used a 12V cordless, but have since tried a corded high speed drill.

I have read that this pin is very soft and should be easy to drill, so either I'm doing something wrong or my tools are not up to the task.

So..what drill bit should I order off of Amazon?  I'm OK getting a kit but don't want to spend over $25....so I may just need to order a 5/32 and be done.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
got my dad some norsman drill bit kit and they have been awesome. super sharp and cuts a lot of metal. they arn't cheap but a good investment if doing a lot of drilling.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Cobalt.

An actual cobalt drill, not from the Home depot tool maker.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cobalt.

View Quote

This ^^^ Not "Kobalt" the brand, but Cobalt as in the element that is added to steel to make it tougher at high hardness levels. Get it from a reputable manufacturer and it will be the proper hardness and grind, get it from "China" and it may or may not be any of those.

Also, if, in fact, your pin is hard and not soft cobalt likely won't cut it, you'll need carbide in a rigid setup (mill with barrel clamped in a vice).
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#4]
are you trying to reuse the FH?  if not i would just use a grinder and grind around it till the pin loosens or you can grab it with some pliers.  most pinned FH are trash once removed
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
got my dad some norsman drill bit kit and they have been awesome. super sharp and cuts a lot of metal. they arn't cheap but a good investment if doing a lot of drilling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-zI58sw1eE
View Quote

good vid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
are you trying to reuse the FH?  if not i would just use a grinder and grind around it till the pin loosens or you can grab it with some pliers.  most pinned FH are trash once removed
View Quote

I am hoping to reuse it.  Since these are no longer made, I figure there is some value in the original FH.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Precision Twist, Dormer, or Viking ar name brands we use at the shop a lot.  A good sharp drill bit will cut so good you will never want to buy cheap bits again
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cobalt.

View Quote

My local hardware store carries solid Cobalt bits.  That is all I use anymore.  Also, faster is not always better when drilling.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Yup, cobalt drill. Don't go too fast on the speed, you need more power not so much speed. Try an 18V drill or corded drill but don't spin it too fast.

Precision Twist, Dormer, Cleveland, Hertel, Triumph, Chicago Latrobe are all good brands used in machine shops. Amazon carries all these brands so look on there and buy a couple. I've had great success with Precision Twist. Use a center punch to help avoid walking.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Fast speed kills the bits in metal.  Look at some videos and watch how they do it.

Might even want oil.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Going to use a buddy's drill press tomorrow.  I'll report back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:45:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Absolutely this ^^^.  You need a good bit, but they are available individually at Fastenal--Norseman brand, right by the cash register.  Plenty good for your needs, USA made, and not too expensive.

The big key to your application is to NOT use a hand drill, as you are spinning it far too fast.  You need a three pulley drill press set at the lowest speed and a vise to hold the barrel.  Use lube also.  This is an easy job if you do it right.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fast speed kills the bits in metal.  Look at some videos and watch how they do it.

Might even want oil.

Absolutely this ^^^.  You need a good bit, but they are available individually at Fastenal--Norseman brand, right by the cash register.  Plenty good for your needs, USA made, and not too expensive.

The big key to your application is to NOT use a hand drill, as you are spinning it far too fast.  You need a three pulley drill press set at the lowest speed and a vise to hold the barrel.  Use lube also.  This is an easy job if you do it right.  

+1 on the Fastenal Bits.   they are really hard to beat
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#14]
My buddy put it on his drill press.  
First two bits were cheapies like I was using, then he finally decided to use a real metal bit and that got through.  I was surprised he tried using cheapie bits, but he does not know the hive mind!  
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#15]
See, this was one of the rare times arfcom agreed on something and was right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top