Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2016 12:08:09 AM EDT
I built a house and have a front and back deck.  The decks are made of treated wood.  They have been up for almost 6 months so it's getting to be about time to coat the decks with a sealer.  

So, whatcha recommend?

Two houses ago I built a deck and I sealed it with Flood CWF.  Seemed to work well and lasted a long time.  But, times and materials have changed so maybe there's something better.

Planning to coat it in late Sept.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Used Olympic and it turned out good

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are just looking to protect it and not stain it then possibly Boiled Linseed Oil? Check the label to ensure it will water proof it. I am pretty new to wood but I think BLO will penetrate deep and protect your wood.Watco makes a wood protector too that hardens inside the wood. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
PPG stores are doing friends and family I am buying $50 a gallon sikkens for $22
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Behr
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I just put penofin on mine. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Penofin,... not BLO, not Thompson's.

You'll need to reapply it every few years unless there is a lot of wear, then more often will be needed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Penofin,... not BLO, not Thompson's.

You'll need to reapply it every few years unless there is a lot of wear, then more often will be needed.
View Quote

Is there anything in particular that makes it better than the others out there?

I know any deck coating will have to be reapplied every so often.  Both these decks are covered so I suspect that the coatings will last longer than an uncovered deck.....but it will still have to be reapplied every so often.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I'm going to use Olympic Elite in Mountain Cedar. Seems to offer everything I want in a sealer. Just need to make sure the wife likes the color
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
That's the most important part.
Is Olympic sold at Lowes. I used some years ago and it has held up fine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Cwf if on a budget
Sikkens Cetol if not
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I use Cabot mostly.

For a natural look I really have had good luck with their ATO.

For stuff on the house I go semisolid.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I ended up using one of the Olympic toner stain/sealers in cedar color. Darkened  the wood a bit but not much.  Water beads up nicely now. I like it. Most importantly the wife likes it. Time will tell how long it lasts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I use Cabot for most everything around the house.

ATO soaks in good, but leaves kind of a polyurethane look which isn't really ideal for a deck.

The semi solids or any of the colors seem to work good on a deck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top