Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2016 2:48:11 PM EDT
This actually help?

My condenser sits in the bright Florida sun from about 1PM on, no way for me to shade it. Wondered if this would help.

No I don't want to buy a bridge in Brooklyn or swamp land in the Everglades.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Spraying water on the condenser coil will help condense the refrigerant.  The engineers who designed your equipment probably planned on it being installed in direct Florida sunshine.  I would suggest trying a foaming coil cleaner and back flushing the coil with lots of water first.  Cleaning the coil properly will probably make more of a difference.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This actually help?

My condenser sits in the bright Florida sun from about 1PM on, no way for me to shade it. Wondered if this would help.

View Quote

never seen that before..  im interested in what others say..

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't really want to keep water on my unit.  It'll have enough from the condensation of moisture on the pipes coming out of the house anyway.

I could see if you had a marginally sized system this might help.  If your system is sized correctly then it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, since you're in FL, removing humidity is important.  If this was to cause your unit to run less, it would lower your electric bill (doubt it would all that much) but if the unit is running for shorter periods of time, you might end up with excessive humidity inside the home.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll be buying a brand-new unit quicker when your condenser rots away from the water being constantly on it
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spraying water on the condenser coil will help condense the refrigerant.  The engineers who designed your equipment probably planned on it being installed in direct Florida sunshine.  I would suggest trying a foaming coil cleaner and back flushing the coil with lots of water first.  Cleaning the coil properly will probably make more of a difference.
View Quote

speaking of coil cleaner.. I just bought two cans today to do my unit..  the last part of the instructions (after cleaning/rinsing) say 'let unit dry before turning back on'..  

Why would you need to let the coils dry?  it runs with its raining/snowing..

Brian
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

speaking of coil cleaner.. I just bought two cans today to do my unit..  the last part of the instructions (after cleaning/rinsing) say 'let unit dry before turning back on'..  

Brian
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

Just a guess but there are probably enough ionic things in the cleaner to conduct electricity.

Bad things happen when you put a conductive fluid around live electrical  parts.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#7]
yes it will work but it is not magic. Water has better heat transfer than air. Not only are you heating the water it is also changing state, liquid to gas, which takes a lot of heat away.
Problem is the minerals in the water will be deposited on the coils which would slow/ block heat transfer. Ever looked in humidifier canister?

I would look at the liquid line temp, the small line, that temp should be with in 15 degrees of the outdoor temp. Any higher and the coils should be cleaned
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Rain is pure, distilled water.  The water getting sprayed out of the Cool-n-Save, even though it's filtered, is not.

Spraying water on your condenser coil will help tremendously for the first few years.  Then the minerals and scale will build up on your coil and you'll have to replace the outside condenser unit.   If it's an older R22 system, you'll have to replace the entire system, inside and out.

If you live in a rental, you plan on moving next year, and you have no problems taking a small savings now and fucking your landlord with a $12k repair bill in 2018, then go right ahead.  Otherwise, maybe you should pass.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Brian
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

Blow it out with a leaf blower to dry it quicker.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

excellent idea.. thanks

b
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This actually help?

View Quote

LOL, no.  It's not the first time I've seen this idea floated around either.  Some people have it rigged up so that one particular sprinkler head sprays their condenser when they water that portion of their lawn.  

Look, the engineers that designed this stuff know what they're doing better than the majority of homeowners.  Residential systems are specifically designed to dissipate heat into the air.  Why do you think there's a fan on top of your unit?

If you want more cooling power for your home and you want to use water, look into buying a chiller system.  Be prepared to shell out big bucks for it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, it will help the unit, but can cause other issues.

Water source heat pumps are more efficient because water is a much better carrier of heat than air. That's why geothermal systems are more efficient than typical split systems. This system won't convert your unit to a water source heat pump.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This actually help?

View Quote

As others have mentioned, scale build up would likely be an issue.  

On the commercial side in large installations, cooling towers are used.  The compressor dumps it's heat via a heat exchanger to the tower water and the tower cools the water by evaporation.  It increases efficiency and saves energy but it makes for a more complicated system, but the return on investment is there.  

You have probably seen these on or around factories or large buildings, they can provide water a few degrees above the dew point.
http://www.baltimoreaircoil.com/english/products/cooling-towers
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

On the commercial side in large installations, cooling towers are used.  The compressor dumps it's heat via a heat exchanger to the tower water and the tower cools the water by evaporation.  It increases efficiency and saves energy but it makes for a more complicated system, but the return on investment is there.  

You have probably seen these on or around factories or large buildings, they can provide water a few degrees above the dew point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This actually help?

Slight hijack..

Are there any chemicals being added to towers today to reduce the chance of legionella growth?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Slight hijack..

Are there any chemicals being added to towers today to reduce the chance of legionella growth?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This actually help?

Slight hijack..

I believe so and antifreeze in the north.  The process ones need to run in all seasons.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Rain is pure, distilled water.  The water getting sprayed out of the Cool-n-Save, even though it's filtered, is not.

Spraying water on your condenser coil will help tremendously for the first few years.  Then the minerals and scale will build up on your coil and you'll have to replace the outside condenser unit.   If it's an older R22 system, you'll have to replace the entire system, inside and out.

If you live in a rental, you plan on moving next year, and you have no problems taking a small savings now and fucking your landlord with a $12k repair bill in 2018, then go right ahead.  Otherwise, maybe you should pass.
View Quote

This ^^^

Evaporative cooling is a wonderful thing, and you can certainly lower your power bills and improve efficiency by spraying water on your condensor but the eventual scale build-up will be a killer. Chillers work on large scale, not so much small-scale. If you want that level of efficiency you need to look into geothermal.

That being said, I have sprayed water on my condensor before. A few years ago we had a heat-wave (hit 109 one day), my system is marginally sized, and the condenser sits in direct afternoon sunlight. House was 85 degrees inside and system was running continuous, so I set up a sprinkler on it for a few hours just to help things out.

One could theoretically filter their water to a level that it would take a LONG time for buildup bad enough to kill the system but it will be costly to install a filtration system to handle the water needs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Think Reverse Osmosis type clean.
Unless the water is free it is not going to be all that cost effective.

Even evaporators recycle most of the water multiple times before it is evaporated (make up water added).
The actual loss to evaporation is not that high because it is a LOT of energy for a phase change (water to vapor (gas)).

And their is disinfectant added to limit algae growth and legionella and other  viruses.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Think Reverse Osmosis type clean.
Unless the water is free it is not going to be all that cost effective.

Even evaporators recycle most of the water multiple times before it is evaporated (make up water added).
The actual loss to evaporation is not that high because it is a LOT of energy for a phase change (water to vapor (gas)).

And their is disinfectant added to limit algae growth and legionella and other  viruses.
View Quote

All valid concerns, but to try to turn a system not design for evaporative cooling into a chiller will consume much more water because there is nothing in place to recycle the water. He's gonna need a BIG R-O system...

I think my R-O system (for drinking water only) can only output 24 gallons per day and that is when all the filters & membrane are new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top