Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2016 9:28:59 PM EDT
And a few more started.  I finally got a decent sized motor for my home built knife grinder, and man what a difference that made.  1 HP and 3200 SFM made a huge difference in the amount of time it takes to get something roughed out.  Now I just need to find someone to do Kydex for me.  I'm terrible at it, and it's absolutely the least enjoyable part about this hobby for me, and I'm never happy with what I make.

This is a copy of the larger knife in a series of knives I made my wife one year.  I liked the design so I had to have one for myself.

Nice thin edge, this will cut the corner off your phonebook like its warm butter.

I made this little bastard to carry horizontal at 12 o'clock.  I made the micarta scales myself.  I dyed sail cloth canvas strips, laid them up like fiberglass with System 3 epoxy and squeezed them out over night.  They turned out ok.  I know professionally made is better, but that could be said of my blades too, and I like to make things.  They're finished with superglue and then lightly buffed.

I do the final bevel on the sharpening fixture that I made, similar to an edge pro, but I made it to take 1x6" stones, because you can get just about anything you want in that size.  I rough the bevel out with a diamond stone then finish with 600 grit aluminum oxide, then strop.

With those complete I started hacking out my next batch.  Maybe not better but definitely bigger.  These are rough ground and heat treated.  All the blades in this post are 1095, because I have a lot of it.  I've done full heat treats in a furnace, but it always warps on me.  So I've gone to just flame hardening the edges, and that has worked out really well.  You can't see it in the previous pictures, but there's actually a light hamon in the blades from the differential heating.  Nice hard edges, and tough spines.

Wife liked my little stabber so I'm making one for her.  I made up some black/pink micarta when I made the others, so that's what hers will get.  I went a little further with the big bowie.  Roughed out the scales to give you an idea what the finished product will be like.  This is what it looks like when sanding to profile.  

And a little superglue brings the color out.

Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
That's some cool stuff OP! Do you cut your own blanks from sheet stock?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they're laser cut from stock left over from a job we no longer have.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Made progress on big boy tonight.  Pretty much done on the grinder and it'll be handwork from here.  I was going to do a hollow grind but pussed out and did a convex.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow really nice work, just like the table saw. Post more threads on your builds, restorations, etc.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow really nice work, just like the table saw. Post more threads on your builds, restorations, etc.
View Quote

My biggest problem is I'm like the John Ringo of DIY projects.  Everyone wants a sequel to The Last Centurion but there's a different story in my head I have to get out.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Very cool. I love to see tings go from concept to creation. Looking good so far!
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Made this for BURN so he could annoy limpwristed weapons policy whiners at work (2.5" blade length max):

Made this for myself since I thought the mini-cleaver idea was kinda cool:

And I'm about finished with one of the kukris I posted in the OP.  Just need to clearcoat the carbon fiber scales:

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Micarta scales?

Where you get that stock material?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Micarta scales?

Where you get that stock material?
View Quote

All the scales in this thread I made by laminating either canvas sail cloth, cotton linen (the orange/green and orange) or in the case of the kukri, carbon fiber that I laid up.  I started using system 3 epoxy, but it's too soft to grind well, so I switched to using polyester resin, which gets harder and sands much nicer.  I finished the orange ones with a coat of polyurethane, then sanded 400 grit, then another coat of poly.  That's what I'm doing right now to the carbon.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
More updates.  Here's the wide blade my buddy had dubbed the "clevolver" (cleaver blade, revolver grip).  Parkerized with mangenese phosphate.

Kukri #2.  This one I'm keeping.  Fresh out of the park tank.  These will be attached with torx screws rather than glued and pinned like everything else I've done so far.

Kukri testing on an old Tacoma truck bed prior to parking.

Next project:

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice work...I like the phase "this will cut the corner off your phonebook like its warm butter"...
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you!

Just finished this one up for the wife.  We were at the gun club raffle and there was some kit knife looking thing as a prize.  Buffed to gloss everywhere, no lines at all.  Like a gaudy steak knife.  Not my thing.  She sees it and says "oh that's pretty I really like the green and black."  It had laminate wood scaled.  I think, oh really, you like that huh.  Peck away at my phone and order some fake pearl black/green scales and they day they arrive of course I'll stay up all night and make one that I think is better in every way.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Hate to be a parrot but nice work!

Man hands too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
not that the knives aren't great.

but, what 's with the two chicks?

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
not that the knives aren't great.

but, what 's with the two chicks?

View Quote

I can only assume that tinypic is repeating URLs and some people see my knives and others see random other images.  At one point my Kukri was replaced with a corvette and now it's back.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my forge set up.  Here's my second forged blade.

Here's my first

I think it cracked in quench because it just fell apart when I was grinding it.  But, it's ok, the second one turned out much better.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Finishing this bad boy up.  1095 steel.  Differential heat treat. Convex edge.  Resin cast pine cone handle and bronze fittings.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I really likey the Kukri.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top