Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2016 12:14:23 AM EDT
Currently finishing up my backyard shed.  I have 1/2 blue foamboard to go on exterior walls and roof (roof will be metal) that I will also tape. Floor has a layer of 3/4 blue foam board and 1/2 blue foam board in opposite pattern with all seams taped with OSB flooring caulked and painted. Have faced fiberglass to go in walls and ceiling. Foamed all small gaps. Designed the window layout and overhang to give me some passive solar in winter.  Trying to build the shed to remain as cool as possible in summer and as warm as possible in winter for storage.  The one element unsure of that has a lot of conflicting opinion is the use of a vapor barrier or moisture barrier? Opinions?  Inside, outside or both sides?

Sounds like overkill but I built this shed on piers with the same sled arrangement that the local Mennonite people use so they can move it. I am basically looking at the building for life.  My goal was mainly with enough passive solar/insulation to keep stuff from freezing and free up some space in my attached garage.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a 14x14 shed....concrete slab, 2x4 walls, T1-11 exterior walls, 7/16" OSB interior walls, R13 Batts in walls, R38 in ceilings, shingle roof.   It's comfortable year around in there.  If it got really cold, a light bulb would probably prevent freezing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did a 14x14 shed....concrete slab, 2x4 walls, T1-11 exterior walls, 7/16" OSB interior walls, R13 Batts in walls, R38 in ceilings, shingle roof.   It's comfortable year around in there.  If it got really cold, a light bulb would probably prevent freezing.
View Quote

I looked at that T1-11 but hadn't decided. I usually do hardi-panel but that shit is VERY HEAVY and I was worried it might overdo the machines the Mennonites move with.  

I actually was thinking if the passive is not enough installing real doors in opening i am building doors in and building 1 - 2 small solar collectors to heat.  I am doing small scale stuff in preparation for a larger house project one day.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Plastic vapor barrier over unfaced bats. Never over the paper. One or the other with plastic being superior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top