Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2016 4:57:54 PM EDT
Bday is coming up and people keep asking what I want. "nothing" doesnt work for an answer...

I have a few electrical tools and fewer plumbing tools.

^that is about it.

I need to run a few wires to set up some bathroom fans and general home maintenance.

I tend to stay away from electrical work. I have most mechanical tools.

so, what brands for electrical/plumbing and what tools are must haves? And for fun we can toss in any other tools that are must haves?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Klein tools are electrician tools. It's the only brand I use. 21 year electrician here. You need a good pair of lineman pliers, dikes and a good pair of needle nose pliers as well as a Phillips and flat head 4" shaft.

Edit to add: nothing wrong with an 18" pipe wrench, tube cutter, channel locks and a basin wrench.  All nice items for the toolbox.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
For electrical work I like the Milwaukee Insulated Screwdriver set, especially the ECX bit.

Milwaukee Insulated Screwdrivers

I also have...
linesman pliers
long nose pliers
good utility knife
50 foot steel fish tape

Just a few ideas.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For electrical work I like the Milwaukee Insulated Screwdriver set, especially the ECX bit.

Milwaukee Insulated Screwdrivers

I also have...
linesman pliers
long nose pliers
good utility knife
50 foot steel fish tape

Just a few ideas.

View Quote

That's really a great screw driver set,(I've been using the same set for 60 days or so, love the price.)  I forgot about Milwaukee. There really upping there hand tool game.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
While I own plenty of Klein tools I've become very fond of the Knipex line. Their Cobra pliers are awesome, you'll forget about anything from Channellock.

Knipex goodness
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Klein for USA made electrician stuff. I like their 11 in One screwdriver. I use some small diagonal cutters every once in a while.

NM staples

I do like the Milwaukee Electrician Wire pliers. They are needle nose, have wire strippers, and are forged. I didn't see a Klein equivalent at the time. Still Chinese though.

Medium sized Pipe wrench
medium to large channel lock pliers
pipe thread sealing tape
basin wrench

Don't know how far you want to get into plumbing.
You could get a torch, flux, and solder.

Lots of stuff is moving towards pex.
Pex cutter
crimper

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I am very particular with my tools. The following are in/on my bags:

Klein for: screwdrivers, dikes, linemans, needlenose, nut drivers, stak-ons, 6-in-1 tap,

Ideal for: strippers

Stanley 30' silver tape measure

Channelock channelocks

Fluke T5-1000

Waffle head framing hammer

A few other misc tools + the lesser-used tools that are not kept in my bags...

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
And a separate to box for both.
I have separate electrical and plumbing tool boxes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Braze with mapp gas or oxy-fuel?

I figure I will keep the electrical tools in a bag or a dedicated drawer in one of my boxes.

I HATE plumbing work. But need to have the tools and knowledge to repair/remodel my house. I was a welder in a past life so I could figure it out, but running pipe for industrial purposes is a little different than residential plumbing. Some of the specialty tools make things a lot easier.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Klein for USA made electrician stuff. I like their 11 in One screwdriver. I use some small diagonal cutters every once in a while.
View Quote

Except the 11 in one is not USA made...

I love Klein as well.  As has been stated above, linesmans, screwdrivers etc.  I find all of these to come in handy as well, particularly for someone with less experience:

Auto Wire Strippers (Ideal)  Save massive amounts of time and great in hard to reach places:

If you use metal boxes, these com in handy as well in retrofits (used for fitting locknuts):

And don't forget a good set of drill bits for boring through studs.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Of course, Lion. I forgot they have an import line.

11 in One is still nice to have.

I think having a bag or box separate from your auto tools is a good idea. I don't like the idea of walking back to the tool box for every tool. Maybe a small bag to transport the tool kit to the project area at least.

Mapp gas would be good. Even camping propane cylinders would work, Propane just takes a bit longer. Soldering pipe is easy and you don't need too much heat. I grab the mapp gas when it's available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top